Nine-Run Ninth Sends Wingnuts to Defeat
WICHITA, Kan. - With the game tied at 2-2 in the ninth inning, the Kansas City T-Bones exploded for nine runs to claim the series opener with an 11-3 win over the Wichita Wingnuts on Friday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
Adrian Nieto got the scoring started for the T-Bones (11-8) in the frame with a two-run double off Wingnuts reliever James Campbell (0-3). Dylan Tice doubled home another run, then Zach Walters and Cal Towey knocked in two runs apiece with base hits. A Dexter Kjerstad single and a Wingnuts error capped off the scoring in the inning.
The big inning spoiled another very good start from Travis Banwart, who tossed seven innings and allowed just two runs on six hits while striking out four.
The Wingnuts (10-10) took the game's first lead on a solo home run from Fernando Perez in the second inning against Kansas City starter Tommy Collier. The T-Bones had the answer in the fourth, however, pulling in front 2-1 on a Kjerstad sacrifice fly and a Nieto RBI single.
Abel Nieves tied the game in the eighth, singling home Zach Nehrir with two outs to knot the game at 2-2. Carlos Diaz (1-1) got the final out of the frame, then picked up the win when Kansas City struck for the nine runs in the ninth.
The Wingnuts and T-Bones will continue their series on Saturday night, with right-hander Scott Carroll (0-0, 1.68) getting the start against a yet to be announced Wingnuts starter. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 8, 2018
- Cleburne Falls Short in Back-And-Forth Opener - Cleburne Railroaders
- Birds Fall Short in Pitchers' Duel, Lose Game One to Saints - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Drop Opener in Sioux City - Texas AirHogs
- Nine-Run Ninth Sends Wingnuts to Defeat - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Two-Hit Canaries, Win Fourth Straight 2-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Rosario Stymies Dogs in Series Opener - Chicago Dogs
- McKenzie's Stellar Eight Innings Leads Gary to 2-1 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Dogs Sign Former Padres Farmhand Carkuff - Chicago Dogs
- Saltdogs Sign Former Huskers Pitcher Jake Hohensee - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Back to the Well, Saints Sign St. Thomas Outfielder Jake Smith - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Sign Former First-Rounder Chevy Clarke - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Head to Winnipeg on First Win Streak - Chicago Dogs
- Rafael Palmeiro in Lincoln with Railroaders - Lincoln Saltdogs
- RailCats Edge out Win over RedHawks in Series Opener - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- RailCats Open Season-Long Road Trip with 3-2 Victory RedHawks - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.