RailCats Activate Akanuma from Disabled List
GARY, IND. - The Gary SouthShore RailCats activated right-handed pitcher Jumpei Akanuma before Thursday's series finale against the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks. In order to make room for Akanuma on the 23-man active roster, Gary placed right-handed pitcher and Valparaiso, Ind., native Joe Dougherty on irrevocable waivers.
Akanuma was placed on the 7-Day Disabled List for the first time in his professional baseball career on July 11th and missed seven games. Akanuma signed his first professional baseball contract with Gary on Jan. 16, 2019, and is 2-1 with a 4.05 ERA in 15 games (four starts). Akanuma made his professional baseball debut on May 18th in the second game of the year against Chicago and tossed two scoreless innings of relief in his home debut on May 23rd vs. Sioux City.
Akanuma made his first 10 appearances of the year out of the bullpen and prevented the first nine runners he inherited on base from scoring and has allowed just three of the 13 he has inherited in relief to score. Akanuma recorded his first professional hold on May 31st against Kansas City after allowing a run over an inning and recorded his first professional win on June 15th vs. St. Paul. Akanuma tossed three scoreless innings in his first professional start on June 22nd against St. Paul and recorded his first win as a starter in his second pro start on June 30th vs. KC after allowing just an unearned run over a career-high five innings.
Dougherty signed his first American Association contract on Wednesday and didn't appear in a game with the RailCats.
Gary concludes their four-game series against Fargo-Moorhead on Thursday night at 7:10 p.m. RailCats' rookie left-hander Seth Hougesen (0-1, 5.02) opposes RedHawks' southpaw Sebastian Kessay (7-0, 3.36) in the series finale.
Thursday's game is Porter County Public Library Night and Union Night and is also another Gerber Collision & Glass Thursday and Thirsty Thursday. Visit any Northwest Indiana Gerber Collision & Glass location for complimentary tickets and enjoy our domestic drafts, select premium drafts and hot dogs for $1.50, $3.00 and $1.00, respectively.
Ticket packages for the 2019 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 18, 2019
- 'Roaders Bombard Saltdogs, Complete Sweep - Cleburne Railroaders
- Shoemaker Smashes Two Home Runs as Saints Remain Unbeaten in Home Series' with 8-6 Win over T-Bones - St. Paul Saints
- A Gem by Hilton Leads to a 4-0 AirHogs Victory - Texas AirHogs
- 'Dogs Swept in Cleburne - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Making a Splash, Saints Sign Former League MVP, Outfielder Josh Romanski, Pitcher Benji Waite - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Announce Bacon Night - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Activate Akanuma from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Tech Startup Launches in Gary, IN - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Walker Leads Milkmen to Second Straight Win - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Chicago with Late Comeback Takes Rubber Game - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Rally Late, Stun Explorers in Extras - Chicago Dogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Birds Score Three in Ninth But Fall at Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Early Offence Supports Six Scoreless from French - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener
- RailCats Swept by Goldeyes in Final Road Game of Season
- Sinibaldi's Stellar Start Not Enough in 3-2 Loss to Goldeyes