Chicago with Late Comeback Takes Rubber Game
Sioux City, IA - Going into the final innings it seemed as though the Explorers would hold on to their 6-1 lead. But the Chicago Dogs had other plans as they scored eight unanswered runs to win in ten innings 9-6 and take the rubber game of the series from the Explorers.
Sioux City had built a comfortable lead off the backs of two, three run innings. In the third it was a two run double by Nate Samson and another double by Jose Sermo that gave the X's a quick 3-0 lead.
After an RBI double by Gustavo Pierre in the top half of the fifth to make it 3-1, Sioux City answered with three runs in the bottom half of the frame. A lead off single from Kyle Wren followed with a double by Michael Lang to put runners at second and third with no outs. After Sermo was intentionally walked to load the bases Dexture McCall hit a ground ball into center field to score Wren and Lang. And Sermo would score on a squeeze bunt by Drew Stankiewicz giving the X's a comfortable 6-1 lead.
Pete Tago was excellent in his second start for the Explorers. He got a no decision and a quality start, going six innings allowing a single run on three hits and six strikeouts with a single walk.
Chicago trimmed the X's lead down a single run in the eighth. After a lead off walk to Rey Gonzalez he would advance to third on a ground out and a defensive indifference. Trey Vavra knocked him how to make it 6-2 before the final frame.
In the ninth Chicago trailing by four runs got the first two men aboard with singles. The third batter walked to load the bases with no one out. A strike out would be followed by a sacrifice fly to right scoring a run to make it 6-3 X's with two outs in the inning. David Olmedo-Barrera took the first pitch he saw of his at bat and went the opposite way to left field for the clutch three run home run to tie the game 6-6 and send it to extras.
In the tenth the Dogs would load the bases on a lead off walk, a double and an intentional walk with one out. Pierre would drive in his second run of the game on his third walk to give Chicago their first lead of the ball game 7-6. Tony Rosselli would then hit a ground ball to short, the X's attempted to turn the double play to keep the game a one run score but the throw to first was high allowing two Dogs to come home and Chicago took a 9-6 lead.
Chicago's bullpen was anchored by Kyle Hahlbon who earned the win tossing three scoreless, no hit innings. Sioux City was able to muster only one hit and three total base runners against the Dogs relievers who kept the Explorers off the scoreboard for the final five innings and hitless in the last four.
Sioux City will have a day off on Thursday before returning on Friday. The Explorers will begin a weekend series with the Sioux Falls Canaries, with a double header on Friday starting at 4:05 pm. Game one will be the make up of the suspended game from June 23rd, with the Canaries leading 3-0 and with the bases loaded with two outs in the top of the second inning. That game will be played to completion of all nine innings. The regularly scheduled game for that night will be played one hour after the completion of the first game and will be a seven inning contest.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 18, 2019
- 'Roaders Bombard Saltdogs, Complete Sweep - Cleburne Railroaders
- Shoemaker Smashes Two Home Runs as Saints Remain Unbeaten in Home Series' with 8-6 Win over T-Bones - St. Paul Saints
- A Gem by Hilton Leads to a 4-0 AirHogs Victory - Texas AirHogs
- 'Dogs Swept in Cleburne - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Making a Splash, Saints Sign Former League MVP, Outfielder Josh Romanski, Pitcher Benji Waite - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Announce Bacon Night - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Activate Akanuma from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Tech Startup Launches in Gary, IN - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Walker Leads Milkmen to Second Straight Win - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Chicago with Late Comeback Takes Rubber Game - Sioux City Explorers
- Dogs Rally Late, Stun Explorers in Extras - Chicago Dogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Birds Score Three in Ninth But Fall at Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Early Offence Supports Six Scoreless from French - Winnipeg Goldeyes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.