Preview: Republic FC vs. Reno 1868 FC
The playoff-bound boys in Old Glory Red head to Nevada for a heavyweight bout this Saturday night
At a Glance: #RNOvSAC
Saturday, September 26
6:30 p.m. PT kickoff
Greater Nevada Field, Reno, Nevada
How to Watch: KQCA My58, Estrella TV Sacramento (Spanish), ESPN+ (Digital)
What's the latest on the team?
Republic FC (7-1-5, 26 pts) solidified its spot in the 2020 USL Championship postseason last week - a seventh straight trip to the playoffs for the boys in Old Glory Red - but the squad is still in search of capturing the top spot in Group A and can take a massive leap towards doing so this coming weekend.
This Saturday, Mark Briggs' men take their nine-game unbeaten run into Reno to clash with first place 1868 FC and try to cut the gap at the top down to two points. The match - set for a 6:30 p.m. PT kickoff - is not a must-win for the team but if Sacramento and Reno play to a draw then all the Nevadan club would need is one point in its last two matches to secure first.
The Indomitable Club's current nine-game undefeated streak ties the third-longest in club history as Sacramento has not been downed since a July 25 loss to LA Galaxy II in Southern California - the team's only defeat this season. During the current run, Republic FC has collected three clean sheets and over its last six outings scored an average of 2.5 goals per game.
Dariusz Formella has a team-high six goals in 2020.
SRFC's most recent match - a dramatic 3-3 draw against Tacoma Defiance at Papa Murphy's Park last weekend - was headlined by Rodrigo Lopez finding a late equalizer in the 90th minute to help his side claim a point in the push for first place.
The visitors took an early lead before the offensive eruption began that included three second half strikes from Sacramento. Villyan Bijev bagged his third goal of the season before Khlarton Belmar netted an attempt from the penalty spot on the hour mark to give the hosts a 2-1 lead. Defiance responded with two goals to grab a late advantage but a resilient Republic FC side stormed back on the cusp of stoppage time when RoRo leveled the match to ensure both sides would share the spoils last Sunday night.
What about the hosts?
Reno 1868 FC (10-2-1, 31 pts) have been one of the league's top teams all season and as of late, the Nevadan club's offense has been simply unstoppable.
Tied with the most goals scored in the league this season with 38 alongside fellow offensive juggernaut Phoenix Rising FC, Reno can't seem to stop finding the back of the net as head coach Ian Russell's side have netted an average of four goals per game over its last seven fixtures.
Kharlton Belmar scored his first career goal for SRFC last weekend against Tacoma.
Most recently, 1868 FC downed Portland Timbers 2 in Oregon 5-2 with Christiano Francois bagging a brace for his side on the road. Two weeks prior to the victory over the weekend in the Pacific Northwest was a 7-1 thrashing of T2 in Reno on September 5.
With the exception of the first three matches against Republic FC - two 1-0 victories for Sacramento and a 3-3 draw last game - Reno has been flawless and racked up 10 wins in 10 matches and are on course for the best record in the Championship this season.
It's fitting that these two regional rivals are racing for the top spot in Group A with so few fixtures remaining during the regular season.
Reno has the current advantage with the first tiebreaker being total wins as 1868 FC (10) has a three-game lead on Republic FC's seven victories so Sacramento has to finish strong and hope its Donner Pass Derby rival can slip up sometime before the postseason.
The Indomitable Club seizing the summit of the group is still very much a reality as SRFC claimed back-to-back 1-0 victories in the first two meetings this season. The third of four regular season clashes this campaign featured a late equalizer from Reno to cap off a six-goal thriller at Papa Murphy's Park in mid-September.
Drew Skundrich has started every game for SRFC this season.
Across all competitions, he boys in Old Glory Red have been victorious in four of their last five trips to Reno.
Overall (all competitions): 7-5-2 (GF: 20; GA: 20)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 24, 2020
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results - September 24, 2020 - USL
- Playoff Implications: a Look Ahead for Legion FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Portland Timbers 2 - September 24, 2020 - Tacoma Defiance
- North Carolina FC Looks to Secure a Win against Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- Battery Sign Evan Posnanski to Academy Contract - Charleston Battery
- Preview: Republic FC vs. Reno 1868 FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Hartford Athletic - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Five Local Businesses Selected for Republic FC Kickstart Finals - Sacramento Republic FC
- 1868 FC Faces First Opportunity to Seal First Place in Group A - Reno 1868 FC
- LA Galaxy II Play to 1-1 Draw vs. San Diego Loyal - LA Galaxy II
- SD Loyal Adds a Point with a 1-1 Draw at LA Galaxy II in Group B Play - San Diego Loyal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- In Case You Missed It: Republic FC Celebrate #MLS2Sac Anniversary with Community Partnerships & Stadium News
- Sacramento Republic FC and SCOE FC Team up to Get Kids Moving
- Republic FC's 2020 MVPs Announced
- Republic FC Kickstart Grant Program Returns with LatinX Edition for Small-Business Owners
- Micron and Republic FC Provides Huge Assist to San Juan Unified Students