Battery Sign Evan Posnanski to Academy Contract
CHARLESTON, S.C. - The Charleston Battery announced Thursday the re-signing of Wando High School standout, Evan Posnanski, to an academy contract with the club. The contract allows Posnanski to continue gaining valuable experience with the Battery while maintaining eligibility for his collegiate career at Brown University.
Posnanski committed to Brown last February before the Coronavirus pandemic cancelled college sports seasons across the country through the spring semester. While preparing to begin his freshman season for the Bears this summer, the Ivy League cancelled the fall sports seasons on July 8, 2020. "Going into the summer preparing for the Ivy League as a freshman, I was going through the training sessions," Posnanski said. "I was talking to players and coaches to figure out what I needed to get done to work on my fitness level. And everything stopped."
With the Ivy League cancelling fall sports this season and Brown University not permitting incoming freshmen on campus to start the school year, Posnanski reached out to Battery Head Coach Mike Anhaeuser and began training with the squad. He signed his academy contract before the league's roster freeze on September 17.
"It's as good as a backup plan can get," Posnanski said of his return to the Charleston roster. "Coming back to the Battery has been great. The guys have been super welcoming, teaching a lot. Playing at a high level like this, it's a great opportunity to get even more adapted to the high level of speed that's required at the college and professional level." On his eventual return to Brown University's campus and team, he added, "whenever I do go, I think I'll be more than prepared to take on the team and take on the Ivy League."
While playing for the Battery through the remainder of the 2020 season, Posnanksi's academy contract allows him to continue his academic studies at Brown and retain his NCAA eligibility. He currently is taking a Logic course online through the university.
This is the second academy contract for the Wando High School standout after joining the team at the end of the 2019 season. He did not see playing time for the Battery, but was on the roster as an available substitute in the Battery's final regular season match against Ottawa Fury FC. Posnanski enjoyed a successful high school career for the Warriors including three straight state champions at the 5A level from 2017 - 2019 before signing with the Brown University Bears in 2020.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 24, 2020
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results - September 24, 2020 - USL
- Playoff Implications: a Look Ahead for Legion FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Portland Timbers 2 - September 24, 2020 - Tacoma Defiance
- North Carolina FC Looks to Secure a Win against Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- Battery Sign Evan Posnanski to Academy Contract - Charleston Battery
- Preview: Republic FC vs. Reno 1868 FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Hartford Athletic - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Five Local Businesses Selected for Republic FC Kickstart Finals - Sacramento Republic FC
- 1868 FC Faces First Opportunity to Seal First Place in Group A - Reno 1868 FC
- LA Galaxy II Play to 1-1 Draw vs. San Diego Loyal - LA Galaxy II
- SD Loyal Adds a Point with a 1-1 Draw at LA Galaxy II in Group B Play - San Diego Loyal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.