SD Loyal Adds a Point with a 1-1 Draw at LA Galaxy II in Group B Play
Carson, Calif. - San Diego Loyal SC (SD Loyal) played to a 1-1 tie against host LA Galaxy II Wednesday at Dignity Health Sports Park.
Alex Alvarado, 17, scored for "Los Dos" in stoppage time to tie the match and save a point for the home side while SD Loyal also settles for a point. Both teams are vying for the second place spot in the Group B standings as the regular season winds down.
SD Loyal (6-4-5, 23 points) appeared to be headed to three points and command of the second place spot and be in a prime position to reach the USL Championship playoffs but Alvarado sent in his header off a long cross from Mauricio Cuevas from right to left. LA Galaxy II took advantage of extra space after SD Loyal defender Elijah Martin was sent off for a second yellow card a few moments before Alvarado's score.
The LA Galaxy II scoring play came off Cuevas' run to the end line, keeping the ball alive before sending the cross to a wide open Alvarado at the far post. SD Loyal had mostly controlled the match after scoring late in the first half.
Rubio Rubin scored in the 42nd minute. Rubin converted a penalty kick burying his shot to the left of LA Galaxy II goalkeeper Abraham Romero.
Rubin has now scored five times since signing with SD Loyal Sept. 1. He has four goals in his last two matches, including a hat trick in his previous game against Phoenix Rising FC last weekend. He also scored the last time these two teams met during a 3-0 SD Loyal win Sept. 9.
Wednesday night, it was a slow start to the match as both teams tried to figure out each other's style and tried to implement a rhythm. LA Galaxy II was the first two take some shots early on. Adrian Vera was the first to send a shot. It came from about 20 yards out straight into Austin Guerrero's hands. Guerrero finished with a cleansheet as he filled in for starter Jon Kempin who was out with a groin injury.
SD Loyal, who is unbeaten in its last four games, began to open up the midfield after the first 20 minutes of the game and sent its lines up. Miguel Berry tried a shot from the right side but Romero dove out to block it. SD Loyal insisted when Alejandro Guido charged the net and got a header off a cross from right to left but his shot went just wide of the left post.
But it wasn't until Guido fed Charlie Adams with a filtered pass into the left side of the penalty box in the 41st minute. Adams made the run after the ball but he was taken down and "Los Dos" was whistled for the penalty kick.
Rubin converted it a minute later burying the shot to the left of Romero. SD Loyal didn't let off the attack and nearly score again before halftime. Miguel Berry nearly floated a shot over Romero and a defender but it was just high over the crossbar and an open net.
SD Loyal continued to control possession for most of the second half of the match that was rescheduled from July 29. The original date was postponed due to LA Galaxy II players testing positive for COVID-19.
Donovan's team will now return home for the regular season finale. SD Loyal will host first place Phoenix Rising FC Wednesday Sept 30.
0-1-42nd- Rubio Rubin (SD)
1-1-90+ -Alex Alvarado (LA)
LA Galaxy II: 42. Abraham Romero, 57. Omar Ontiveros, 44. Jalen Neal, 62. Jesus Vazquez, 58. Mauricio Cuevas, 43. Adam Saldana, 56. Johnny Perez, 49. Adrian Vera48. Augustine Williams, 52. Jorge Hernandez, 50. Ivan Gutierrez. Coach: Junior Gonzalez
SD Loyal: 1. Austin Guerrero, 23. Emrah Klimenta, 3. Elijah Martin, 4. Jack Metcalf, 6. Charlie Adams, 17. Collin Martin, 2. Morgan Hackworth (90+ 22. Francis Atuahene), 27. Miguel Berry (75th- 29. Ben Spencer), 33. Alejandro Guido (75th- 7. Carlos Alvarez), 35. Rubio Rubin (75th -15. Tumi Moshobane, 32. Tarek Morad. Coach: Landon Donovan
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 24, 2020
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results - September 24, 2020 - USL
- Playoff Implications: a Look Ahead for Legion FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Portland Timbers 2 - September 24, 2020 - Tacoma Defiance
- North Carolina FC Looks to Secure a Win against Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- Battery Sign Evan Posnanski to Academy Contract - Charleston Battery
- Preview: Republic FC vs. Reno 1868 FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Hartford Athletic - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Five Local Businesses Selected for Republic FC Kickstart Finals - Sacramento Republic FC
- 1868 FC Faces First Opportunity to Seal First Place in Group A - Reno 1868 FC
- LA Galaxy II Play to 1-1 Draw vs. San Diego Loyal - LA Galaxy II
- SD Loyal Adds a Point with a 1-1 Draw at LA Galaxy II in Group B Play - San Diego Loyal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Loyal Stories
- Midfielder Alejandro Guido Returns to SD Loyal
- SD Loyal Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule, Training Camp Begins
- Jordan Chavez Returns for SD Loyal's 2021 Season
- San Diego Loyal's Goalkeeper, Austin Guerrero, Returns for 2021 Season
- SD Loyal Welcomes Forward Niki Jackson