North Carolina FC Looks to Secure a Win against Birmingham Legion FC
Cary, NC - North Carolina FC will travel to face Birmingham Legion FC at BBVA Field in Birmingham, Alabama this Saturday, September 26 at 7:30 p.m. ET. The match will air on ESPN+.
Previously, North Carolina FC fell to the Charlotte Independence in a physical game that saw two red cards and eight yellow cards administered between the two teams. A goal in the early minutes of the second half won the match for Charlotte, 1-0. Despite maintaining 60% of possession and boasting 85% passing accuracy throughout the match, NCFC was unable to find the net as the final minutes ticked away. NCFC will look to bounce back in Saturday's match against the Legion.
Birmingham Legion FC defeated Miami FC last Wednesday. Forward Neco Brett and defender Alex Crognale each scored a brace during the match to seal the 4-0 victory. The Legion currently sit atop the standings in Group G of the USL Championship league with 25 points.
In the last meeting between the two teams, North Carolina FC topped Birmingham Legion FC 2-1. In the 24th minute, Hadji Barry played a ball to Nazmi Albadawi who scored from outside the box to give NCFC the lead midway through the first half. Prosper Kasim recorded a goal for Birmingham in the 59th minute to tie the match. A minute later, Dre Fortune earned a penalty kick and scored to put NCFC up 2-1. As the clock wound down, Birmingham scrambled for the equalizer and was eventually awarded a penalty kick in the 90th minute. Alex Tambakis came up big for NCFC, making the save to secure three points.
Players to Watch Presented by Aetna:
North Carolina FC - #2 Manny Perez
Playing 646 minutes in 11 games for NCFC, Perez has proven his talents both defensively and offensively and boasts an 85.6% passing success rate. Perez will look to capitalize on his ability to distribute the ball this Saturday, making him a key player in NCFC's attacking strategy.
Birmingham Legion FC - #21 Alex Crognale
Scoring two goals in Birmingham's last match, Crognale will look to create scoring chances for the Legion in Saturday's contest. Known for his abilities on defense and experience in both the MLS and the USL, Crognale is a key asset to Birmingham's backline.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 24, 2020
- USL Statement: COVID-19 Test Results - September 24, 2020 - USL
- Playoff Implications: a Look Ahead for Legion FC - Birmingham Legion FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Portland Timbers 2 - September 24, 2020 - Tacoma Defiance
- North Carolina FC Looks to Secure a Win against Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- Battery Sign Evan Posnanski to Academy Contract - Charleston Battery
- Preview: Republic FC vs. Reno 1868 FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Hartford Athletic - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Five Local Businesses Selected for Republic FC Kickstart Finals - Sacramento Republic FC
- 1868 FC Faces First Opportunity to Seal First Place in Group A - Reno 1868 FC
- LA Galaxy II Play to 1-1 Draw vs. San Diego Loyal - LA Galaxy II
- SD Loyal Adds a Point with a 1-1 Draw at LA Galaxy II in Group B Play - San Diego Loyal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent North Carolina FC Stories
- North Carolina Football Club Partners with Reed and Feed and NCFC Youth for Food Drive
- North Carolina Football Club to Hold Virtual Ticket 'Pitch-In' Campaign for Bucy Foundation Mini-Pitch Project
- Dahlkemper, Dunn, and Williams Named to 27-Player Roster for First U.S. Women's National Team Training Camp in Seven Months
- North Carolina FC's Youth to Pro Pipeline Comes to Light as Dre Fortune Highlights 2020 NCFC Team Awards as Most Valuable Player
- North Carolina Football Club Forms Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force and Names Task Force Members