Preview: Nashville SC Looks to Clinch Home Playoff Match with Win over North Carolina FC at Nissan Stadium
NASHVILLE - Coming off of one of the biggest wins of the 2019 season, Nashville Soccer Club will take the pitch under the bright lights of Nissan Stadium against North Carolina FC on Saturday night. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m., presented by the GOAL Program presented by Cooper Steel to benefit the Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt.
A victory for Nashville would clinch at least one home playoff match for the Boys in Gold and would put the club in prime position to claim one of the top two spots in the Eastern Conference.
How to Follow
Local Television: MyTV30 with John Freeman and Kelly Glendenning
Digital Stream: ESPN+
English Radio: ESPN 94.9 Game 2 with Wes Boling and Max Herz
Spanish Radio: El Jefe 96.7 with Alexis Martinez and Manfred Villalobos
Social Media: @NashvilleSC on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
Last Time Out
Nashville SC earned a dramatic 2-1 victory over Louisville City FC on Tuesday night at First Tennessee Park. Taylor Washington opened the scoring in the first 10 minutes of the match with a perfectly-placed shot into the upper corner. Louisville pressed hard from there, eventually earning an equalizer in the 79' minute. But the Boys in Gold didn't give up, and Jimmy Ockford proved to be the hero in stoppage time as he headed home a long Forrest Lasso free kick. With the win on the line as stoppage time waned, goalkeeper Matt Pickens made a crucial save from a set piece right before the final whistle sounded. The win vaulted Nashville into second place in the Eastern Conference
Scouting North Carolina FC
North Carolina FC currently sits in seventh in the Eastern Conference with 53 points, eight behind Nashville in second place. NCFC was one of the primary contenders for a top four spot throughout the season, but has fallen in the standings over the last month or so. In its last five matches, North Carolina has won two, draw two and drawn one. Statistically, NCFC is one of the best clubs in the league in both goals scored and goals conceded, sitting in the top 10 in both categories. The scoring has been well-distributed throughout the roster, but the leader at the moment is Steven Miller with nine goals.
Storylines to Watch
Nashville SC has the opportunity to clinch at least one home playoff match with a victory on Saturday night. With a loss or draw, Nashville would still clinch a home playoff match with a loss or draw by the Tampa Bay Rowdies against Indy Eleven. A win, coupled with dropped points by Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC, would set Nashville up to potentially claim first place in the Eastern Conference with a win during the final weekend of the season.
Friendly Confines of Nissan Stadium
Nashville SC remains unbeaten at Nissan Stadium through three matches played there in club history, and the club's future temporary MLS home has been particularly kind to the Boys in Gold this season. On July 27, Nashville took down Indy Eleven 2-0 at Nissan Stadium in front of a season-high 13,000+ fans. Daniel RÃos opened the scoring with a great give-and-go with Michael Reed, and Alan Winn doubled the advantage before halftime with a phenomenal individual effort. The win helped catapult the club to a run towards the top four in the standings and a potential top-of-the-standings finish.
International Break Plucks NCFC Stars
North Carolina FC could be missing four key players for this match as they are away on international duty. Nazmi Albadawi, Yamikani Chester, Dre Fortune and Manny Perez are expected to miss Saturday's match after being called up to their respective national teams. Fortune and Albadawi would be particularly tough losses, as the two have started in more than half of the club's matches this season. Chester, Albadawi and Fortune have also combined for 15 goals.
Be sure to check out the Opening Act outside Nissan Stadium prior to the match, featuring live music from The Weeks, three-on-three soccer, a FIFA video game truck and much more.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 10, 2019
- Match Preview vs. In-State Rival - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Nashville SC Looks to Clinch Home Playoff Match with Win over North Carolina FC at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
- Neveal Hackshaw Earns Latest Call-Up to Trinidad & Tobago National Team - Indy Eleven
- 1868 FC Heads South for Silver State Cup Finale - Reno 1868 FC
- Head Coach Raphael Wicky Names USA Roster for 2019 Fifa U-17 World Cup in Brazil - Orange County SC
- For Nashville Soccer Club, Stoppage Time Remains Magical - Nashville SC
- Independence Host 2019 Indies - Post Season Award Celebration - Charlotte Independence
- Orange County SC Sends 2 Players to U-17 World Cup - Orange County SC
- New Mexico's Sandoval Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- LouCity's 10-Game Unbeaten Streak Ends in Nashville - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC's Adam Armour Named to U.S. U-17 MNT for FIFA U-17 World Cup - North Carolina FC
- PlayerMaker Joins USL's Preferred Supplier Program - USL
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Portland Timbers 2 in Final Away Match of Regular Season - San Antonio FC
- Republic FC Academy Players Shine in Loss to FC Juarez - Sacramento Republic FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Drops Orange County SC, 2-0 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Four Second-Half Goals Push Hartford to Victory over Birmingham Legion FC - Hartford Athletic
- Legion FC Drops the Ball at Hartford - Birmingham Legion FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Randall Leal Called up to Costa Rica National Team for November CONCACAF Nations League Matches
- Doolsta Excited to Compete in First International FIFA 20 Competition of the Season
- Pickens, Tribbett, Davis Named to USL Championship All-Opta First Team
- Samuel Abraham Crowned Champion of Tennessee EA Sports FIFA 20 Challenge
- Nashville SC to Auction 2019 Branded Stadium Signage with All Proceeds Going to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital