New Mexico's Sandoval Voted Championship's Player of the Month
October 10, 2019 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) News Release
TAMPA, Fla. - New Mexico United forward Devon Sandoval has been voted the USL Championship's Player of the Month for September after recording six goals over the course of the month as United continued its drive to reach the USL Championship Playoffs in the club's inaugural season.
Unveiled as the club's first signing at its launch, the Albuquerque native has had his best individual season as a professional upon his return to his hometown. Sandoval's six goals in September moved him to double-digits in the league this season, becoming the third New Mexico player to record at least 10 goals this season alongside Kevaughn Frater and Santi Moar.
"I am honored to win this award and help my team take a step towards our goals," said Sandoval. "All credit goes to my teammates and our supporters. The strength is in the collective and we are nothing without the community that supports us."
Sandoval received 29 percent of a weighted poll that included the USL Championship Technical Committee, a national panel of independent media representing every USL market and an online fan vote held at USLChampionship.com. The Swope Park Rangers' Wilson Harris finished second on 27 percent after scoring six times at a rate of a goal every 76 minutes, while Reno 1868 FC's Danny Musovski finished third on 22 percent after scoring eight times at a rate of a goal every 47.6 minutes.
USL Championship Player of the Month - September
Nominee Fan Vote Weight Media Vote Weight USL Vote Weight Total Vote
Devon Sandoval (NM) 47% 24% 22% 5% 0% 0% 29%
Wilson Harris (SPR) 41% 21% 6% 1% 20% 5% 27%
Danny Musovski (RNO) 3% 2% 22% 5% 60% 15% 22%
Joe Greenspan (PIT) 4% 2% 44% 11% 20% 5% 18%
Cameron Lindley (MEM) 5% 3% 6% 1% 0% 0% 4%
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 10, 2019
- Match Preview vs. In-State Rival - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Nashville SC Looks to Clinch Home Playoff Match with Win over North Carolina FC at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
- Neveal Hackshaw Earns Latest Call-Up to Trinidad & Tobago National Team - Indy Eleven
- 1868 FC Heads South for Silver State Cup Finale - Reno 1868 FC
- Head Coach Raphael Wicky Names USA Roster for 2019 Fifa U-17 World Cup in Brazil - Orange County SC
- For Nashville Soccer Club, Stoppage Time Remains Magical - Nashville SC
- Independence Host 2019 Indies - Post Season Award Celebration - Charlotte Independence
- Orange County SC Sends 2 Players to U-17 World Cup - Orange County SC
- New Mexico's Sandoval Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- LouCity's 10-Game Unbeaten Streak Ends in Nashville - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC's Adam Armour Named to U.S. U-17 MNT for FIFA U-17 World Cup - North Carolina FC
- PlayerMaker Joins USL's Preferred Supplier Program - USL
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Portland Timbers 2 in Final Away Match of Regular Season - San Antonio FC
- Republic FC Academy Players Shine in Loss to FC Juarez - Sacramento Republic FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Drops Orange County SC, 2-0 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Four Second-Half Goals Push Hartford to Victory over Birmingham Legion FC - Hartford Athletic
- Legion FC Drops the Ball at Hartford - Birmingham Legion FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.