Real Monarchs SLC Drops Orange County SC, 2-0
HERRIMAN, Utah - Real Monarchs SLC (14-10-7, 49 points) earned a 2-0 win over Orange County SC on Wednesday night at Zions Bank Stadium to book its ticket to the 2019 USL Championship Playoffs for the third consecutive season.
MF Maikel Chang notched his 12th goal of the 2019 season while GK Andrew Putna secured the shutout in goal for the Monarchs.
The two sides played through a quiet first half as the opening minutes saw Real Monarchs and Orange County SC trade possession and opportunities towards a goal advantage. The Monarchs found the majority of chances through the first half as MFs Jack Blake, Luke Mulholland and Kelyn Rowe each took opportunities towards goal that ended wide just of the frame. Towards the end of the first stanza the momentum swung in favor of the visitors as Jerry Van Wolfgang took a shot that bounced off the post while OCSC took another chance moments later that GK Andrew Putna easily saved as the teams entered the break scoreless.
The second half saw the match open up as both sides pushed forward looking for the goal. It was the Monarchs who secured the breakthrough on 73 minutes when Aodhan Quinn turned the ball into his own net. The Monarchs struck again in the 83rd minute when Chang notched his 12th of the 2019 season to seal the three points and a berth into the 2019 USL Championship Playoffs.
UP NEXT: Real Monarchs SLC heads south to Arizona where it will face league-leaders Phoenix Rising FC in the final contest of the Four-Corners Cup. The match-up is set for Saturday, October 12 where kickoff from Casino Arizona Field is set for 8:30 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN
SLC: Aodhan Quinn (Own Goal), 73rd minute: A quick move down the left side of the field saw Tate Schmitt send a low cross into the box where Aodhan Quinn turned the ball into his own net for the go-ahead goal.
SLC: Maikel Chang (Jack Blake), 83rd minute: A quick counterattack saw Jack Blake find acres of space to run in towards the OC goal. Blake played a perfectly weighted pass into the path of Chang who took a touch around the goalkeeper and fire into the empty net to seal the win.
KEY SAVES AND DEFENSIVE STOPS
SLC: Erik Holt, 34th minute: At the top of the penalty area, Holt ended up losing a 50/50 duel with an OCSC forward, opening up Orange County with a chance towards goal. Holt was quick to recover though and slid back to connect the ball out of reach and send it back to Andrew Putna to make the clearance.
- Midfielder Ricardo Avila (ankle) and Defender James Moberg (hamstring) out of action due to injury.
- The Real Monarchs lineup featured six players from Real Salt Lake as GK Andrew Putna, DF Erik Holt, MF Kelyn Rowe, MF Luke Mulholland, MF Tate Schmitt, and MF Justin Portillo were each featured in the Starting XI.
- Real Monarchs SLC secured a berth into the 2019 USL Championship Playoffs with the win. The Monarchs will now feature in the postseason for the third time in as many seasons.
Match: Real Monarchs SLC vs Orange County SC
Date: October 9, 2019
Venue: Zions Bank Stadium
Weather: 39 Degrees and Partly Cloudy
Scoring Summary 1 2 F
Real Monarchs SLC 0 2 2
Orange County SC 0 0 0
SLC - Aodhan Quinn (Own Goal), 73'
SLC: Maikel Chang (Jack Blake) 83'
Real Monarchs SLC (4-2-3-1): Andrew Putna; Erik Holt, Kalen Ryden, Noah Powder, Konrad Plewa, Kelyn Rowe (Kyle Coffee, 70'), Luke Mulholland, Tate Schmitt, Justin Portillo, Maikel Chang, Jack Blake
Subs not used: Evan Finney, Luis Arriaga, Sam Brown, Luis Palma, Julian Vazquez, Damian German
Orange County SC (4-3-1-2): Frederik Due; Michael Orozco, Owusu-Ansah Kontro, Walker Hume, Joseph Amico, Christian Duke (Kevin Coleman, 80'), Jerry van Wolfgang, Aodhan Quinn, Harry Forrester (Daniel Crisostomo, 90'), Michael Seaton, Darwin Jones
Subs not used: Giovanni Godoy, Bryang Kayo, Aaron Cervantes, Leonardo, Vinicius
Stats Summary: SLC/OC
Shots: 12 /17
Shots on Goal: 1/3
Corner Kicks: 1/6
SLC - Tate Schmitt (Caution), 50'
OC - Michael Seaton (Caution), 50'
Referee: Elton Garcia
Assistant Referees: Kali Smith, Karsten Gillwald
4th Official: Casey Harward
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 10, 2019
- Match Preview vs. In-State Rival - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Nashville SC Looks to Clinch Home Playoff Match with Win over North Carolina FC at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
- Neveal Hackshaw Earns Latest Call-Up to Trinidad & Tobago National Team - Indy Eleven
- 1868 FC Heads South for Silver State Cup Finale - Reno 1868 FC
- Head Coach Raphael Wicky Names USA Roster for 2019 Fifa U-17 World Cup in Brazil - Orange County SC
- For Nashville Soccer Club, Stoppage Time Remains Magical - Nashville SC
- Independence Host 2019 Indies - Post Season Award Celebration - Charlotte Independence
- Orange County SC Sends 2 Players to U-17 World Cup - Orange County SC
- New Mexico's Sandoval Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- LouCity's 10-Game Unbeaten Streak Ends in Nashville - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC's Adam Armour Named to U.S. U-17 MNT for FIFA U-17 World Cup - North Carolina FC
- PlayerMaker Joins USL's Preferred Supplier Program - USL
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Portland Timbers 2 in Final Away Match of Regular Season - San Antonio FC
- Republic FC Academy Players Shine in Loss to FC Juarez - Sacramento Republic FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Drops Orange County SC, 2-0 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Four Second-Half Goals Push Hartford to Victory over Birmingham Legion FC - Hartford Athletic
- Legion FC Drops the Ball at Hartford - Birmingham Legion FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.