For Nashville Soccer Club, Stoppage Time Remains Magical
NASHVILLE - Stoppage time in soccer is confusing, frustrating, unique and often arbitrary.
But sometimes... when a deal has been struck with the soccer gods... stoppage time is beautiful.
Over the last two USL Championship seasons, Nashville Soccer Club has produced four moments of beauty after the clock has struck 90:00. Four go-ahead match-winning goals that turned a sure draw into an unforgettable victory for Nashville SC. All four have been scored towards the supporters' section, and each time the Nashville SC players have immediately celebrated with the fans.
It has been a treat for the gold-clad crowd lately, as Nashville has found magic three times in four home matches over the last six weeks. But, how rare is it in the USL Championship for a team to score a stoppage time match-winning go-ahead goal?
In the last two seasons, there have been 1,134 total league matches played in the regular season. Only 37 matches, or 3.2%, have ended with a winner in stoppage time.
Nashville SC has four of those, more than any other USL Championship team over the last two years. Let that sink in for a second. Of the 37 stoppage time winners, Nashville SC has scored more than 10% of them, all at home, all in front of the supporters section, more than any other team in the league.
Some teams haven't experienced a moment like this in the last two seasons. Of the 39 teams that have taken the pitch in the last two years, 17 don't have a single stoppage time match-winning go-ahead goal. Some of those teams will surprise you, teams like Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC, Indy Eleven, Sacramento Republic FC and Las Vegas Lights haven't found that magic.
Only 11 teams have at least two such goals. Only three teams have scored three in the last two seasons, Charleston Battery, Orange County SC and Portland Timbers II. Nashville SC stands alone as the only team with four.
When you take the last six weeks though, it becomes truly improbable. Nashville SC has as many stoppage time match-winners in the last six weeks than any team has over the last two seasons. In fact, no team has even produced three in a season in the last two years, and the Boys in Gold have done it in their last four home matches.
Club of Chaos? Team of Destiny? Maybe it's the energy of the home fans behind the net, forcing the ball into the goal through sheer willpower.
Regardless, Nashville SC has had a penchant for scoring late since its move to the professional ranks prior to the 2018 USL Championship season. Of the 108 goals Nashville SC has scored since 2018, 26 have come after the 75' minute. The scoring has been spread out as 15 different Nashville SC players have contributed a goal in the final 15 minutes of a match. It will come as no shock that Ropapa Mensah has more late goals (four) than any other player, but other players on the list include defenders Taylor Washington and Justin Davis, former player Robin Shroot and the most recent one, center back Jimmy Ockford.
It's a charmed life that a Nashville SC fan has led the last two seasons, rooting for playoff teams each year, under a coach that won an MLS Cup, all while knowing that Major League Soccer is on the horizon. There have been plenty of highs and very few true lows between results on the field and announcements off it.
Somehow the heart-stopping, ecstasy-inducing, final-second goals at First Tennessee Park might just be the best part of it all.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 10, 2019
- Match Preview vs. In-State Rival - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Nashville SC Looks to Clinch Home Playoff Match with Win over North Carolina FC at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
- Neveal Hackshaw Earns Latest Call-Up to Trinidad & Tobago National Team - Indy Eleven
- 1868 FC Heads South for Silver State Cup Finale - Reno 1868 FC
- Head Coach Raphael Wicky Names USA Roster for 2019 Fifa U-17 World Cup in Brazil - Orange County SC
- For Nashville Soccer Club, Stoppage Time Remains Magical - Nashville SC
- Independence Host 2019 Indies - Post Season Award Celebration - Charlotte Independence
- Orange County SC Sends 2 Players to U-17 World Cup - Orange County SC
- New Mexico's Sandoval Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- LouCity's 10-Game Unbeaten Streak Ends in Nashville - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC's Adam Armour Named to U.S. U-17 MNT for FIFA U-17 World Cup - North Carolina FC
- PlayerMaker Joins USL's Preferred Supplier Program - USL
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Portland Timbers 2 in Final Away Match of Regular Season - San Antonio FC
- Republic FC Academy Players Shine in Loss to FC Juarez - Sacramento Republic FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Drops Orange County SC, 2-0 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Four Second-Half Goals Push Hartford to Victory over Birmingham Legion FC - Hartford Athletic
- Legion FC Drops the Ball at Hartford - Birmingham Legion FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Randall Leal Called up to Costa Rica National Team for November CONCACAF Nations League Matches
- Doolsta Excited to Compete in First International FIFA 20 Competition of the Season
- Pickens, Tribbett, Davis Named to USL Championship All-Opta First Team
- Samuel Abraham Crowned Champion of Tennessee EA Sports FIFA 20 Challenge
- Nashville SC to Auction 2019 Branded Stadium Signage with All Proceeds Going to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital