Ports Shut out by Nuts in Season Finale
STOCKTON, Ca.- The Modesto Nuts pounded out 14 hits and the Ports left ten runners on base as Stockton fell 7-0 in the 2021 season finale on Sunday afternoon at Banner Island Ballpark.
The Nuts (64-51) opened the scoring with an unearned run off of Stockton reliever Grant Judkins in the top of the fifth inning. Colin Davis started the frame reaching second on an error by third baseman Zack Gelof. A walk and a single loaded the bases and after a strikeout, Cesar Izturis, Jr. lifted a sacrifice fly to center field to give the Nuts a 1-0 lead.
Modesto scored twice more in the top of the sixth. Milkar Perez doubled to lead off the inning and came around to score with one out on a two-run home run by James Parker to increase the Nuts' lead to 3-0.
After tallying a single run in the top of the eighth on an RBI single by Parker, the Nuts put the game away with three in the top of the ninth inning. Freuddy Batista led off the inning with a double off the wall in left field and made it to third on a single by Ty Duvall. Pinch hitting for Izturis, Brett Rodriguez singled up the middle to score Batista, making it 5-0. A double by Corey Rosier increased the Modesto lead to 6-0, and the Nuts tacked on another run on an RBI groundout by Eric Jones to make it 7-0.
The Ports got a two-out single from Robert Puason in the bottom of the ninth but Jack Winkler flew out to the warning track in right field to end the game.
The Ports' bright spot in the season finale was the work of starter Grant Holman, who allowed just two hits over four shutout frames with four strikeouts in his fourth start of the season.
Modesto reliever William Fleming (3-0) got the win with two hitless innings and three strikeouts, while Judkins (0-6) took the loss for the Ports allowing three runs on six hits in three innings in relief of Holman.
The Ports conclude their 2021 season with a record of 42-75 after dropping five of six to the Modesto Nuts. Information for 2022 season ticket plans are available and deposits can be made at stocktonports.com.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A West League message board...
Low-A West League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Giants Fall in Regular Season Finale - San Jose Giants
- Grizzlies Secure Best Record in Low-A West, North Division Crown with 7-4 Win over Giants in Season Finale - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ports Shut out by Nuts in Season Finale - Stockton Ports
- Nuts Shutout Ports to End the 2021 Season - Modesto Nuts
- Quakes Complete Season with Loss in Finale - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Parker Doubles Down the Ports - Modesto Nuts
- Fresno Loses 5-2 to San Jose in Penultimate Game of Regular Season - Fresno Grizzlies
- Surging Giants Earn 5-2 Victory - San Jose Giants
- Nuts' Two-Out Hitting Sinks Ports in 6-1 Loss - Stockton Ports
- Another Walk-Off for Fernandez, Quakes - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Ports Stories
- Pedro Santos Invited to Arizona Fall League
- Muncy, Treinen Set to Represent Ports Alumni in Postseason
- Kieran McMahon Named General Manager of the Stockton Ports
- Former Ports Pitcher Seth Martinez Makes MLB Debut
- Stockton Ports Announce 2022 Regular Season Schedule