Grizzlies Secure Best Record in Low-A West, North Division Crown with 7-4 Win over Giants in Season Finale
Fresno, CA - The Fresno Grizzlies (74-41) clawed past the San Jose Giants (76-44) 7-4 Sunday afternoon from Chukchansi Park in the final game of the regular season. With the victory, Fresno secured the best record in Low-A West and the North Division crown. The Grizzlies and Giants will meet again on Tuesday for a best-of-five playoff series to determine who wins the Low-A West Championship.
Fresno scored all seven of their runs in the first three innings. A Drew Romo RBI groundout and Julio Carreras RBI sacrifice bunt put the Grizzlies up 2-0. Then in the second, AJ Lewis powered a solo shot to left field. It was his first homer in a Fresno uniform. In the third, Carreras and Lewis were at it again, picking up RBI singles. Eddy Diaz completed the run support with a two-RBI single to center.
The Giants were held scoreless until the ninth when they scratched together four extra-base hits. Najee Gaskins roped a double and waltzed home on a Luis Toribio two-bagger to center. Then, Carter Williams smacked a double to left, plating Toribio. Finally, Jimmy Glowenke launched a two-run longball to right field, his 13th of the year.
Grizzlies' starter Mike Ruff (6-2) earned the triumph after five scoreless innings. He allowed two base runners (one hit and walk) while fanning five. Anderson Amarista followed Ruff with three shutout frames in his first Fresno relief outing. He struck out two and walked one. Gavin Hollowell wrapped up the victory with a strikeout of Yorlis Rodriguez.
San Jose newcomer Trevor McDonald (0-1) agonized the setback after two and two-thirds innings. He gave up seven runs (three earned) on four hits and three walks while punching out a pair of batters. A quartet of relievers shadowed McDonald with six and one-third lights out frames.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Colorado Rockies)
- DH AJ Lewis (2-3, HR, 2 RBI, R, HBP)
- RHP Mike Ruff (5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K)
- RHP Anderson Amarista (3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K)
- 2B Eddy Diaz (2-4, 2 RBI, R, HBP, SB)
- SS Julio Carreras (2-3, 2 RBI)
Top Performers: San Jose Giants (San Francisco Giants)
- 2B Jimmy Glowenke (1-4, HR, 2 RBI, R)
- DH Carter Williams (1-4, 2B, RBI, R)
- Giants bullpen (6.1 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K)
Tuesday, September 21 vs San Jose Giants, Game 1 of the Low-A West Playoffs/Championship, San Jose TBD vs. Fresno TBD, 6:50 pm PT
ON THAT FRES-NOTE:
Colin Simpson walked three times, his second time doing so in the series. Simpson's three walks are the most in a single-game by a Grizzlies hitter this season.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A West League message board...
Low-A West League Stories from September 19, 2021
- Giants Fall in Regular Season Finale - San Jose Giants
- Grizzlies Secure Best Record in Low-A West, North Division Crown with 7-4 Win over Giants in Season Finale - Fresno Grizzlies
- Ports Shut out by Nuts in Season Finale - Stockton Ports
- Nuts Shutout Ports to End the 2021 Season - Modesto Nuts
- Quakes Complete Season with Loss in Finale - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Parker Doubles Down the Ports - Modesto Nuts
- Fresno Loses 5-2 to San Jose in Penultimate Game of Regular Season - Fresno Grizzlies
- Surging Giants Earn 5-2 Victory - San Jose Giants
- Nuts' Two-Out Hitting Sinks Ports in 6-1 Loss - Stockton Ports
- Another Walk-Off for Fernandez, Quakes - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Taco Truck Throwdown 10 to Take Place this Saturday
- Three Grizzlies Earn 2021 Low-A West Honors
- Fresno Grizzlies Challenge Santa Barbara to Participate in Taco Truck Throwdown 10 in Press Conference
- 2021 Fresno Grizzlies Season Recap
- Grizzlies Season Ends with Loss to Giants