Portland uses five-run first, ninth innings to cruise past Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. - Dusty Ryan, Craig Stansberry and Chris Denorfia all homered as the Portland Beavers slugged their way past the Fresno Grizzlies 13-6 at Chukchansi Park Saturday afternoon.
The Beavers (5-5) started the day with five runs in the first and ended it with five in the ninth while collecting a season-high 16 hits.
Stansberry had three hits, as did Craig Cooper, who tallied a pair of run-scoring doubles. Denorfia had two hits despite not entering the game until the sixth inning.
Mark Worrell (1-0) earned the win, fanning two and holding Fresno without a hit or walk over the sixth and seventh innings.
Ryan Rohlinger had three hits while Joe Borchard and Steve Holm each drove in two runs for the Grizzlies (5-5).
The Beavers scored five runs in the first off Fresno starter Matt Kinney (0-2) on RBI doubles by Lance Zawadzki, Cooper and Aaron Cunningham and Ryan's two-run homer to left.
The Grizzlies got on the board with two in the bottom of the frame on a bases-loaded walk and a sac fly.
Portland plated a run in each of the second and third innings. Luis Durango, after swiping his second of two bases on the day, took advantage of a pair of wild pitches by Kinney in the second and Stansberry went deep for his first home run of the season in the third.
Fresno came back with three runs in the fourth, thanks in part to RBI singles by Rohlinger and Borchard, then added another in the fifth on Holm's solo homer to make it 7-6.
The Beavers poured on five more runs in the ninth, highlighted by Denorfia's three-run homer.
Neither starting pitcher made it out of the fourth inning, as Portland's Radhames Liz gave up three runs in three innings and Kinney allowed seven runs (6 earned) over three frames for the Grizzlies.
The two teams meet again Sunday afternoon at 2:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 17, 2010
- River Cats silence Aces - Reno Aces
- 'Topes get blanked by Royals - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers win over Bees - PCL
- Memphis miscues lead to loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Take Down I-Cubs For First Home Win - Nashville Sounds
- Portland uses five-run first, ninth innings to cruise past Fresno - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox-51's Postponed, Double Header Scheduled for Sunday - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Express Set to Take on New Orleans Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Gordon Activated, Rejoins KC in Minnesota - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Blank 'Birds - Memphis Redbirds
- Largest Opening Day Crowd Ever Enjoys 2-1, Come-From-Behind Victory - Fresno Grizzlies
- Pinch-hitter knocks game-winning double in the bottom of the ninth - Portland Beavers
- Royals rip Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sky Sox Fall in Home Opener, 6-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Bees lose to Rainiers - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss