Pinch-hitter knocks game-winning double in the bottom of the ninth
FRESNO, Calif. - Steve Holm drove in the winning run with a pinch-hit double in the bottom of the ninth inning as the Fresno Grizzlies rallied past the Portland Beavers 2-1 at Chukchansi Park Friday night.
Matt Downs led off the ninth with his second double of the game and two batters later, Holm hit a line drive to left off Luis Perdomo (0-1) to send the 13,000-plus fans, who showed up for Fresno's home opener, home happy.
Joe Borchard added a pair of hits for the Grizzlies (4-5), who avenged a 6-1 defeat to Portland in their home opener in 2009.
Denny Bautista (1-0) fanned two of the three batters he faced in the ninth to earn the win.
Perdomo gave up both Fresno runs on four hits and a walk in 1.1 innings of work.
Luis Durango singled, stole a base and plated the Beavers' (4-5) only run in the top of the first.
The Beavers loaded the bases with none out in the first but came away with just the one run after Eric Munson bounced into a double play to score Durango.
Portland held that 1-0 lead until the bottom of the eighth, when Brock Bond doubled to start the frame. He then moved to third on a sac bunt and scored on an error by the third baseman Munson.
Fresno starter Joe Martinez also went five innings, yielding one run on four hits and two walks and recording four strikeouts.
Will Inman struck out six and gave up one hit and three walks over five scoreless innings for the Beavers but did not factor in the decision.
The Beavers and Grizzlies meet again Saturday afternoon at 1:05 p.m. (Pacific).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 17, 2010
- River Cats silence Aces - Reno Aces
- 'Topes get blanked by Royals - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers win over Bees - PCL
- Memphis miscues lead to loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Take Down I-Cubs For First Home Win - Nashville Sounds
- Portland uses five-run first, ninth innings to cruise past Fresno - Portland Beavers
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sky Sox-51's Postponed, Double Header Scheduled for Sunday - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Express Set to Take on New Orleans Saturday - Round Rock Express
- Gordon Activated, Rejoins KC in Minnesota - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Blank 'Birds - Memphis Redbirds
- Largest Opening Day Crowd Ever Enjoys 2-1, Come-From-Behind Victory - Fresno Grizzlies
- Pinch-hitter knocks game-winning double in the bottom of the ninth - Portland Beavers
- Royals rip Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sky Sox Fall in Home Opener, 6-2 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Bees lose to Rainiers - Salt Lake Bees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss