Pimentel's Four-Hitter Leads Birds to Win over RailCats
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - Sioux Falls Canaries starting pitcher Cesilio Pimentel had the best outing of his career on Friday night, leading the Birds to a 1-0 win over the Gary SouthShore RailCats at Sioux Falls Stadium
Pimentel dominated the RailCat offense over eight innings, bringing a no-hitter into the seventh inning of play while allowing just one walk. He gave up four hits, all singles, with his defense turning a couple of impressive double plays to finish the seventh and eighth frames.
RailCats starter Jeff McKenzie didn't falter until the fifth inning, where a leadoff walk come around to score. That batter was Maxx Garrett, coming home on a Jordan Dean's RBI single. That run would end up as the only one scored in the game.
The Birds threatened again in the sixth, hitting a pair of one-out singles to put runners on first and second. After a Chris Grayson strikeout to chase McKenzie from the game, Maxx Garrett knocked a single to left off of Myles Smith.
Blake Schmit tried to score from second on the play, but RailCats left fielder Reggie Wilson threw him out at the plate.
One run was enough for Pimentel, who struck out Wilson to end his eighth and final inning of work
Kyle Schepel threw the ninth for the Birds, recording a double play to notch his third save of 2018. The victory improves the Canaries' record to 18-26. The game marked the Canaries' first shutout of the year, and their third one-run win of the season.
ODDS AND ENDS
Cesilio Pimentel improved upon his league-leading ERA to 1.36, over a half a run ahead of the next best ERA ... Sioux Falls improved to 3-10 in one-run ballgames this season ... Mitch Glasser improved his hitting streak to seven games with an infield hit in the third inning ... Sioux Falls is now 1-2 in shutouts this year, earning their first of 2018.
Sioux Falls and Gary SouthShore meet again in the second of three games tomorrow evening. The first pitch is set for 6:05. The game will also serve as the Canaries' Social Media Night, with giveaways announced all night on social media. Birds fans can get their tickets at the Sioux Falls Stadium box office or by calling 336-6060.
PITCHERS OF RECORD
W - Pimentel (3-1)
L - McKenzie (2-5)
S - Schepel (3)
Bot 5th - Jordan Dean singles (Maxx Garrett scores) 1-0 Sioux Falls.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 6, 2018
- Saints Half a Step from Ninth Inning Comeback, Lose 7-6 to Saltdogs - St. Paul Saints
- Palmeiro Party: Raffy Goes Deep Twice, Dogs Fall 5-4 - Chicago Dogs
- Goldeyes Fall to RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Open Road Trip with Win over Dogs - Cleburne Railroaders
- Pimentel's Four-Hitter Leads Birds to Win over RailCats - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RailCats Offensive Woes Continue in 1-0 Loss to Canaries - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- National Pro Fastpitch Returns to KC - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Add Local Product Rotola - Wichita Wingnuts
- Dogs Host Palmeiro and Cleburne at Impact Field - Chicago Dogs
- Saltdogs Trade Simpson for Reliever Cortland Cox - Lincoln Saltdogs
- RedHawks Bats' Come Alive to Down Goldeyes 9-4 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- T-Bones Comeback and Toss No Hitter All in One Night - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Swept in Doubleheader vs. Kansas CIty - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- T-Bones Add Pitchers Hill and Lee - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks Win Series-Opener over Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Hold off Saltdogs in Rubber Match - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.