Wingnuts Add Local Product Rotola
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - The Wichita Wingnuts added some speed and local flavor in one fell swoop this week, signing outfielder Nick Rotola.
Wichita made room on the roster for Rotola by placing right-handed pitcher Mark Haynes on waivers. Haynes made nine appearances for the Wingnuts, allowing ten earned runs in five innings of work.
Rotola joins the Wingnuts after wrapping up a stellar collegiate career at Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Oklahoma. In 132 career games for the Golden Eagles, Rotola produced a .311 batting average, slugging six home runs and driving in 69 runs. The Wichita native's finest season came as a redshirt senior in 2018, when Rotola led the Summit League with 82 hits to snag First Team All-League honors. He started all 58 games in centerfield, helping Oral Roberts to an NCAA Regional appearance.
Rotola originally started his college career with two seasons at Eastern Michigan University after playing his high school baseball for Word of Life Traditional School in Wichita. There he set career records for extra-base hits (51), and stolen base percentage (.986), while also establishing a new single-season record with 48 RBI.
The speedy outfielder made his professional debut for the Wingnuts on Thursday against Lincoln, recording a pair of hits and scoring a run in Wichita's 5-3 win over the Saltdogs.
The Wingnuts take to the road for a three-game series against the league-leading Sioux City Explorers at Mercy Field. Travis Banwart (4-1, 2.00) gets the ball in game one for the Wingnuts on Friday, while the Explorers will counter with RHP James Dykstra (5-2, 4.36). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 6, 2018
- Saints Half a Step from Ninth Inning Comeback, Lose 7-6 to Saltdogs - St. Paul Saints
- Palmeiro Party: Raffy Goes Deep Twice, Dogs Fall 5-4 - Chicago Dogs
- Goldeyes Fall to RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Railroaders Open Road Trip with Win over Dogs - Cleburne Railroaders
- Pimentel's Four-Hitter Leads Birds to Win over RailCats - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RailCats Offensive Woes Continue in 1-0 Loss to Canaries - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- National Pro Fastpitch Returns to KC - Kansas City T-Bones
- Wingnuts Add Local Product Rotola - Wichita Wingnuts
- Dogs Host Palmeiro and Cleburne at Impact Field - Chicago Dogs
- Saltdogs Trade Simpson for Reliever Cortland Cox - Lincoln Saltdogs
- RedHawks Bats' Come Alive to Down Goldeyes 9-4 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- T-Bones Comeback and Toss No Hitter All in One Night - Kansas City T-Bones
- AirHogs Swept in Doubleheader vs. Kansas CIty - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- T-Bones Add Pitchers Hill and Lee - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks Win Series-Opener over Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Wingnuts Hold off Saltdogs in Rubber Match - Lincoln Saltdogs