Phoenix Rising FC Seeks to Continue Winning Streaks
Phoenix Rising FC will defend its nine-match winning streak this Friday night against Austin Bold FC (one of only two clubs to beat Rising in 2019). The club will also defend its immaculate record (11-0-0) on Bud Light $1 Beer Nights. The match is scheduled to kickoff at and will air on YourPHX CW (channel 6 on cable and 61.1 on satellite & over-the-air) as well as ArizonaSports.com.
For fans who arrive early, the first 2,500 fans will receive a Phoenix Rising lunch cooler courtesy of APS. The first 2,500 fans will also receive a free Frios Pops popsicle courtesy of Carvana. Gates open at 6:00 p.m.
Rising FC returns home following a grueling 1-0 win at Rio Grande Valley FC last Saturday. Through the intense heat and humidity, forward Solomon Asante managed to find the head of teammate Adam Jahn, who blasted his header past the goalkeeper for the game-winner. The win extended the club's road winning streak to four matches (a team record). Jahn's performance earned him a spot on the USL Team of the Week for Week 19.
Austin travels to Arizona after a dramatic 3-2 win over Orange County at home. Bold FC jumped on Orange County quickly, going up 2-0 in the first 21 minutes of the match. But the visiting side grabbed a goal back moments later in the 27th minute and then equalized in the 67th minute. With the match seeming destined for a draw, Austin's Kris Tyrpak scored the game-winner two minutes into stoppage time.
This week's match will be just the second time ever the two clubs meet. The club fell 1-0 at Austin on April 17th, the first loss of the 2019 season and one of just two all year. Rising FC has already avenged its other loss of the season. Following a May 4th 2-0 loss to Orange County, Phoenix Rising beat its Western Conference rival 4-0 at Casino Arizona Field on June 15th.
This will be only the 2nd all-time meeting between the two clubs with AUS wining the first match.
A Little Bit About Austin Bold
AUS is 2-5-2 on the road in 2019.
The club's leading scorer is André Lima with eight goals in 19 appearances. Kris Tyrpak is their second-leading scorer with five goals.
Calum Mallace and Sean McFarlane lead the team in assists with three each.
A Little Bit About Phoenix Rising
Per Opta, the team's 7.0 team rating is tops in USL Championship.
PHX has outscored opponents 31-6 in its last nine matches (all wins).
PHX has scored three or more goals in 11 of its last 18 matches.
Per Opta, PHX has created 47 big chances as a team, third-best in USL Championship.
PHX's 46 goals scored is tops in USL Championship.
Solomon Asante leads all of USL Championship in goals (12) and assists (10).
Zac Lubin is tied with TB's John McCarthy for most clean sheets (9) in the league.
Per Opta, Asante has the best average player rating at 8.23. He's the only player currently above 8. PHX also has three of the top ten rated players in the league (Asante, Jahn, and Bakero).
Per Opta, Asante leads the league in both chances created (13) shots on target per match (2).
The Unbeaten Legend Grows
Rising FC is 11-0-0 on $1 Beer Night. The stat was enough to grab the attention of national media like Pardon My Take, ESPN and was even given its own Twitter Moments.
$1 Beer Goals, Goals, Goals
On the last $1 Beer Night on June 7, 2019, PHX broke their single-match record for goals at home with five goals in their 5-0 win over Tulsa Roughnecks FC. Over 11 $1 Beer Night matches, the club has scored 34 goals.
How $1 Beer Night Began
The first $1 Beer Night in club history was on October 4, 2017, a 4-3 win over Tulsa Roughnecks FC. In that match, the two teams scored six of the match's seven goals within the first thirty minutes. Forward Jason Johnson scored the game-winner in the 66th minute, his second goal of the evening. Joey Calistri started for Tulsa in that match and had the assist on all three of his team's goals.
Head coach Rick Schantz and forward Solomon Asante were named the June USL Coach and Player of the Month, respectively. For Schantz, it's the second time he's received the honor (he was the USL Coach of the Month for June last season). He helped lead the club to a perfect 5-0-0 record, outscoring opponents 19-3 in the process. Asante was a major reason for that success, netting seven goals and tallying four assists.
After being away from the squad to represent Jamaica in the 2019 Gold Cup, teammates Junior Flemmings and Kevon Lambert have returned to training with the club. Both players saw minutes in the team's win vs. RGV on July 13th.
Phoenix Rising has already set a club record for most consecutive wins in a season, but within that mark, the team set another record: consecutive road wins. Following PHX's 1-0 win at RGV, the team set a club record with its fourth consecutive win away from home.
Not only is Phoenix Rising leading USL championship in goals (46) but the club's goal differential is also the best in the league by a wide margin. The club currently has a +29 goal differential, eight goals better than the next highest total.
Solomon Asante's Western Conference record streak of scoring in seven consecutive matches (nine goals total) came to an end on Saturday vs. RGV. However, Asante notched his 10th assist of the season, making him the fastest player to record double-digits in goals (12) and assists in USL Championship history (done in 18 matches).
Pick your poison
Adam Jahn is making defenders very nervous when he gets the ball at his feet. Will he score a goal or will he assist on one? So far, he has scored a goal or notched an assist in 11 straight games.
Tracking ahead of pace
Through the first 18 matches of the season, Phoenix Rising has 38 points. In 2018, the club had 35 points through the first 18 matches of the season en route to setting a club record for points in a season.
Goal scoring pace
Phoenix Rising now has 46 goals scored through the first 18 matches of the season. In 2018, the club scored 33 goals through 18 matches en route to setting the club record for goals in a season.
Iron Man Watch
Defender Amadou Dia remains the club's minutes leader with 1,440 minutes played. He's followed by Solomon Asante (1,424), Adam Jahn (1,392), Zac Lubin (1,350), and Mustapha Dumbuya (1,203) to round out the top five. Eight players total have logged 1,000 or more minutes this season.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 18, 2019
- Reno's Road Trip Rolls Into Southern California - Reno 1868 FC
- Republic FC Sign Polish Playmaker Dariusz Formella - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. North Carolina FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Phoenix Rising FC Seeks to Continue Winning Streaks - Phoenix Rising FC
- Nashville SC Gain Confidence from Win and Clean Sheet against Memphis 901 FC - Nashville SC
- Memphis 901 FC Match at Charleston Rescheduled for September 2 - Memphis 901 FC
- Athletic Sign Bedoya from NYCFC - Hartford Athletic
- Budweiser Man of the Match: Jimmy Ockford Stands out in Nashville SC Debut vs. Memphis - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Teams up with Second Harvest Food Bank for Food Drive at Next Home Match on July 27 at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC vs. New York Red Bulls II Rescheduled for Wednesday, August 21 - Nashville SC
- STLFC Signs Collin Fernandez - Saint Louis FC
- Fury FC Adds Canadian GK to Roster - Ottawa Fury FC
- Rising Transfers Collin Fernandez to Saint Louis FC - Phoenix Rising FC
- Energy FC and Morelos Hosting Youth Soccer Clinic Tonight - OKC Energy FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Open up First of Two Games this Week in Front of 6,128 Electric "Loco" Fans - El Paso Locomotive FC
- San Antonio FC Earns 3-1 Win on the Road against El Paso Locomotive FC - San Antonio FC
- Reno Overcomes Two-Goal Halftime Deficit to Top OKC 3-2 - Reno 1868 FC
- Hartford's Comeback Bid Falls Just Short at Swope Park - Hartford Athletic
- Preview: Hartford Eyes Three Points at Swope Park - Hartford Athletic
- Nearly 8,000 Strong Experience Memphis-Nashville Rivalry Wednesday Night at AutoZone Park - Memphis 901 FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Rising Routs Rival New Mexico, 5-2
- Tune-In Alert: Rising FC Hosts New Mexico Tonight on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ at 7:30 PM
- PRFC Game Notes
- Rising Wins, 3-1, Returns to Casino Arizona Field Next Saturday, August 8
- Rising FC Hosts El Paso Tonight on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ at 7:30 PM