Phoenix Rising FC Returns from Break to Travel to Rio Grande Valley
Saturday, July 13th -- at Rio Grande Valley FC Toros, 5:30 p.m.
Stream: ESPN + (U.S. viewers)
TV: Your PHX CW (channel 6 on cable and 61.1 on satellite & over-the-air)
Radio: ArizonaSports.com | ESPN Phoenix 620 AM
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Following a bye week, Phoenix Rising FC puts its eight-match winning streak on the line when it travels to H-E-B Park in Edinburg, Texas, to square up with Rio Grande Valley FC Toros. The match is scheduled to kickoff at 5:30 p.m. and will air on YourPHX CW (channel 6 on cable and 61.1 on satellite & over-the-air) as well as ArizonaSports.com and on ESPN Phoenix 620 AM.
Fans can also watch the match at one of two official watch parties to be held at CAZ Sports Bar at Casino Arizona (event will be kid-friendly) and the Crown Public House in Phoenix. Fans who attend can enter themselves to win a game-worn PRFC pride training top and two suite tickets.
Rising FC last played on June 29th, a thrilling come-from-behind 4-2 win over Portland Timbers 2. The visiting side held on to a 2-1 lead at the hour mark, but defender Amadou Dia scored an exciting equalizer to level the match. Then four minutes into stoppage time, Dia scored the game-winner with an assist from Solomon Asante. The team captain then iced the match by converting a penalty kick just before the final whistle.
Coming into the match, Rio Grande Valley's form has been poor, going just 1-3-1 in its last five matches. The team is almost two different teams. On the road the club is just 1-6-2 but at home the team is a respectable 4-2-3. Last weekend, the Toros battled to a 0-0 draw with Tacoma Defiance. Despite its better home form, Rio Grande Valley has been shut out in its last two home matches.
This will be the 7th all-time meeting between the two clubs with PHX's all-time record being 3-0-3.
PHX's last win in the series was earlier this season on May 10, 2019.
PHX has won three of the last four matches after drawing the first two games of the series.
A Little Bit About Rio Grande Valley
RGV is 4-2-3 at home in 2019.
The club's leading scorer is Michael Salazar with eight goals in 12 appearances. Carlos Small is their second-leading scorer with seven goals.
Maalique Foster and Isidro Martinez lead the team in assists with four each.
RGV has just two clean sheets this season.
A Little Bit About Phoenix Rising
Per Opta, the team's 7.0 team rating is tops in USL Championship.
PHX has outscored opponents 30-6 in its last eight matches (all wins)
PHX has scored three or more goals in 11 of its last 17 matches.
Per Opta, PHX has created 44 big chances as a team, third-best in USL Championship.
PHX's 45 goals scored is tops in USL Championship.
Solomon Asante leads all of USL Championship in goals (12) and assists (9).
Zac Lubin's eight clean sheets are just one off the league leader, TB's John McCarthy.
Per Opta, Asante has the best average player rating at 8.26. He's the only player currently above 8. PHX also has four of the top ten rated players in the league (Asante, Flemmings, Jahn, and Bakero).
Per Opta, Asante is tied for first in the league in chances created (11) and leads the league in shots on target per match (2).
This week head coach Rick Schantz and forward Solomon Asante were named the USL Coach and Player of the Month, respectively. For Schantz, it's the second time he's received the honor (he was the USL Coach of the Month for June last season). He helped lead the club to a perfect 5-0-0 record, outscoring opponents 19-3 in the process. Asante was a major reason for that success, netting seven goals and tallying four assists.
After being away from the squad to represent Jamaica in the 2019 Gold Cup, teammates Junior Flemmings and Kevon Lambert have returned to training with the club. Both players will be eligible for selection on Saturday.
Phoenix Rising has already set a club record for most consecutive wins in a season, but within that mark, the team set another record: consecutive road wins. Following PHX's 4-1 win at OKC, the team set a club record with its third consecutive win away from home.
Messing With Texas
This will be PHX's fourth and last trip to the Lone Star State for the 2019 regular season. The team is 1-1-1 in its previous three trips. Texas and California (4 trips) are the two most-visited states in PHX's regular-season schedule.
Not only is Phoenix Rising leading USL championship in goals (45) but the club's goal differential is also the best in the league by a wide margin. The club currently has a +28 goal differential, 10 goals better than the next highest total.
Man On Fire
It's been hard to get through a match without Solomon Asante scoring. Asante comes into the match having scored in seven consecutive matches (nine goals total), which is a Western Conference record. He is one off the league record of scoring in eight consecutive matches. He's also scored a brace in his last two matches.
Tracking ahead of pace
Through the first 17 matches of the season, Phoenix Rising has 35 points. In 2018, the club had 32 points through the first 17 matches of the season en route to setting a club record for points in a season.
Goal scoring pace
Phoenix Rising now has 45 goals scored through the first 17 matches of the season. In 2018, the club scored 32 goals through 17 matches en route to setting the club record for goals in a season.
Iron Man Watch
Defender Amadou Dia remains the club's minutes leader with 1,350 minutes played. He's followed by Solomon Asante (1,334), Adam Jahn (1,302), Zac Lubin (1,260), and A.J. Cochran (1,159) to round out the top five. Eight players total have logged 1,000 or more minutes this season.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 12, 2019
- New Mexico United Selects First Player for High Performance Program - New Mexico United
- Riverhounds SC Inducts Inaugural Hall of Fame Class - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville SC Training Report: Boys in Gold Go Back to Work After Second-Straight Loss - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. North Carolina FC - Saturday, July 13 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Match Preview: Toros Host Hot Rising FC on Saturday Night - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Hosts Cardiff City FC at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs New York Red Bulls II - Atlanta United 2
- Hartford Athletic Signs Alex Davey - Hartford Athletic
- Preview: Welcome to Dillon - Hartford Athletic
- Phoenix Rising FC Returns from Break to Travel to Rio Grande Valley - Phoenix Rising FC
- Loudoun United FC Announce Assistant Coaching Staff for the Remainder of the 2019 Season - Loudoun United FC
- Memphis 901 FC Heads to Charleston Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- North Carolina FC Readies for Road Test at Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- RSL's Pablo Ruiz, Real Monarchs SLC's Andrew Brody and Josh Heard Join FC Pinzgau Saalfelden on Loan - Real Monarchs SLC
- Louisville City Heading North to Face Ottawa - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC to Host Soccer at SandBar on Thursday, July 18 - Nashville SC
- Hartford Athletic and City of Hartford Announce Dillon Stadium Grand Re-Opening - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Rising Releases Full Schedule for Resumption of 2020 Season
- Phoenix Rising and the USL Championship to Become First Professional American Sports League to Return to Play in Its Local Markets
- USL Championship to Allow Five Substitutions for 2020 Season
- Phoenix Rising FC to Return to Full-Contact Training this Week
- Forward Alex Krzykos Becomes the Fifth Academy Player to Sign with Phoenix Rising FC