New Mexico United Selects First Player for High Performance Program
Gabe Legendre becomes first signed player for New Mexico United's youth development team
Club: New Mexico Rush
High School: Cleveland HS
In May, New Mexico United announced the High-Performance Program (H.P.P) for youth soccer players. The H.P.P is for both male and female players, age 12 to 17. The intention of the program is to provide supplemental instruction and competitive opportunities for the state's top talent. The first selected player for this program is midfielder Gabe Legendre.
"Hard work. Humility. Diligence. That's what Gabe brings every single time," said Head Coach Troy Lesesne. "That type of player, with his level of understanding of the game at a young age; that's what we are looking for the first High Performance player that we are signing. "
Assistant Coach Zach Prince directs the program, which began with three viewing sessions in the month of June. Up to 100 players were at each of the viewing sessions, and of the 300 prospects, up to 60 will be chosen for the H.P.P. The viewing sessions were open to all players that meet the age requirements.
Every player selected for the program will receive a full scholarship, meaning there is no cost to participate for the player's family.
"Our first signed player for the high performance program is a very talented player. [We are] very excited to have him in the program. He's committed to being a dynamic player on both sides of the ball, both offensively and defensively," said Coach and director of H.P.P., Zach Prince. "But more importantly than that, he is a really good person and he embodies everything we are looking for."
The first training session will take place this month, with a total of 10 sessions in 2019, leading up to competitive events in 2020. Each two-hour session will be coached by Prince, and players from New Mexico United's first team. All viewing and training sessions will take place at the team's training facilities.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 12, 2019
- New Mexico United Selects First Player for High Performance Program - New Mexico United
- Riverhounds SC Inducts Inaugural Hall of Fame Class - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville SC Training Report: Boys in Gold Go Back to Work After Second-Straight Loss - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. North Carolina FC - Saturday, July 13 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Match Preview: Toros Host Hot Rising FC on Saturday Night - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Hosts Cardiff City FC at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs New York Red Bulls II - Atlanta United 2
- Hartford Athletic Signs Alex Davey - Hartford Athletic
- Preview: Welcome to Dillon - Hartford Athletic
- Phoenix Rising FC Returns from Break to Travel to Rio Grande Valley - Phoenix Rising FC
- Loudoun United FC Announce Assistant Coaching Staff for the Remainder of the 2019 Season - Loudoun United FC
- Memphis 901 FC Heads to Charleston Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- North Carolina FC Readies for Road Test at Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- RSL's Pablo Ruiz, Real Monarchs SLC's Andrew Brody and Josh Heard Join FC Pinzgau Saalfelden on Loan - Real Monarchs SLC
- Louisville City Heading North to Face Ottawa - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC to Host Soccer at SandBar on Thursday, July 18 - Nashville SC
- Hartford Athletic and City of Hartford Announce Dillon Stadium Grand Re-Opening - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- New Mexico United Relocates Another Home Match, Adds Local Broadcast
- New Mexico United Match against Phoenix to be Played in Phoenix
- New Mexico United Postpones Home Match against Real Monarchs SLC
- United Takes away Win at Colorado Springs in Return to Play
- New Mexico United Loans Ben Beaury to Reno 1868 FC for 2020 Season