Match Preview: Toros Host Hot Rising FC on Saturday Night
EDINBURG, Texas - Rio Grande Valley FC (5-8-5, 20 pts.) prepares for a big home game against top seeded Phoenix Rising FC (10-2-5, 35 pts.) at H-E-B Park (tickets). The matchup is set to kickoff at 7:30 P.M. CST on ESPN+ and Somos El Valle 5.2.
Phoenix Rising has been a consistently potent side throughout the 2019 campaign and poses a threat to any opponent. The Toros have been performing well as a home team, earning 15 points behind four victories and three draws thus far. Climbing the standings has been the mission for RGV as they keep looking for that final touch to their dynamic attack.
Rising FC leads the table with its 35 points, most in the Western Conference. To earn that many victories something has to be clicking for you, and offensively Phoenix is fully loaded. They have scored a total of 45 goals this season and only conceded 17. Their top scorer is Solo- mon Asante who has already tallied 12 goals in his name, closely followed by Adam Jahn who has quietly collected nine of his own.
Defensively, Rising FC is a brick wall. Keeper Zac Lubin has claimed eight clean sheets and as of last week has 36 saves under his belt. The last time that these two sides faced each other on May 10, the Toros were held to a 1-3 loss on the road, where since then, Phoenix is undefeated.
As a testament to the ability of the Phoenix Rising side, their eight-game winning streak is nothing short of impressive, their last loss coming on May 4 against Orange County SC. RGV FC has been on a tough skid of games, unable to lock down a win in their last game against a young Tacoma Defiance side.
High hopes of upsetting the top ranked opponent at home remain for the Toros and head coach Gerson Echeverry believes in his young side and their ability to create chances and go to-to-toe with any team.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 12, 2019
- New Mexico United Selects First Player for High Performance Program - New Mexico United
- Riverhounds SC Inducts Inaugural Hall of Fame Class - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Nashville SC Training Report: Boys in Gold Go Back to Work After Second-Straight Loss - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. North Carolina FC - Saturday, July 13 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Match Preview: Toros Host Hot Rising FC on Saturday Night - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- San Antonio FC Hosts Cardiff City FC at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs New York Red Bulls II - Atlanta United 2
- Hartford Athletic Signs Alex Davey - Hartford Athletic
- Preview: Welcome to Dillon - Hartford Athletic
- Phoenix Rising FC Returns from Break to Travel to Rio Grande Valley - Phoenix Rising FC
- Loudoun United FC Announce Assistant Coaching Staff for the Remainder of the 2019 Season - Loudoun United FC
- Memphis 901 FC Heads to Charleston Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- North Carolina FC Readies for Road Test at Birmingham Legion FC - North Carolina FC
- RSL's Pablo Ruiz, Real Monarchs SLC's Andrew Brody and Josh Heard Join FC Pinzgau Saalfelden on Loan - Real Monarchs SLC
- Louisville City Heading North to Face Ottawa - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC to Host Soccer at SandBar on Thursday, July 18 - Nashville SC
- Hartford Athletic and City of Hartford Announce Dillon Stadium Grand Re-Opening - Hartford Athletic
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- Kibato Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Toros Fans Bring the Energy as RGV FC Defeat OKC 4-2 at Home
- Preview: RGV FC Hosts Breast Cancer Awareness Match on Saturday Night against the Energy
- Toros Earn First Win of the 2020 Season against the Bold
- RGV FC Hosts Austin Bold for a Midweek Match