Philadelphia Union's Brenden Aaronson Receives International Call-Up
CHESTER, Pa. - In conjunction with U.S. Soccer, Philadelphia Union today announced that midfielder Brenden Aaronson has received an international call-up to the United States Men's National Team ahead of a pair of Concacaf Nations League Matches in October against Cuba and Canada.
This is Aaronson's first senior National Team call-up. Previously, he has been called up by the U.S. U-23 squad from September 1-10 as part of training camp ahead of the 2020 Concacaf Olympic Qualifying Championship. As the second youngest player on the team, Aaronson started the friendly against Japan (September 9), adding an assist in a 2-0 victory. He also took part in the U-23's training camp in Herriman, Utah from June 9-16 and joined the U.S. U-19 squad as part of the inaugural Men's YNT Summit Camp from January 2-11, 2018.
The United States is slated to face Cuba in League A Group A play at home on Friday, October 11 at Audi Field in Washington, DC. The last the time the two teams met was in 2016 in a friendly in Havana, a 2-0 victory for USMNT. The Stars and Stripes are then set to face Canada away on Tuesday, October 15 at BMO Field in Toronto, Canada. The winners of each League A group will qualify for the Nations League Finals. Furthermore, the top two teams from each group will qualify for the 2021 Gold Cup.
Up next for Philadelphia Union, the club hosts NYCFC for Decision Day presented by AT&T at Talen Energy Stadium on Sunday, October 6 (4:00 p.m. ET / PHL17). Aaronson will depart to join the national team following the match.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 2, 2019
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Morris and Roldan Called into U.S. Men's National Team for Pair of CONCACAF Nations League Matches - Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Looks to Close out Regular Season with Record-Breaking Goals Feat: Week 31 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- Broadcast Update: New England Revolution Match on October 6 at Atlanta United to Air on New England Cable News - New England Revolution
- Four Players Selected for National Team Duties - Montreal Impact
- By the Numbers | the Lions Fight the Fire - Orlando City SC
- Know Your Opponent: Chicago Fire - Orlando City SC
- Lima, Yueill Called up to U.S. Men's National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Five Real Salt Lake Players Earn National Team Calls - Real Salt Lake
- Bryan Acosta, Reggie Cannon, Zdenek Ondrasek Called into National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Aaron Long Named to USMNT Roster for CONCACAF Nations League Matches - New York Red Bulls
- Columbus Crew SC's Wil Trapp and Gyasi Zardes Receive International Call-Ups - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union's Brenden Aaronson Receives International Call-Up - Philadelphia Union
- Four Members of Toronto FC Called for National Team Duty - Toronto FC
- Paul Arriola Called into USMNT's Inaugural CONCACAF Nations League Matches against Cuba and Canada - D.C. United
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union and Southern New Hampshire University Host Third Annual Rompe Las Barreras Job Shadow Program
- Anthony Fontana scores third game winning goal this season for Union
- Philadelphia Union Acquire International Roster Spot from Montreal Impact
- Philadelphia Union Agree to Record-Breaking Transfer of Homegrown Midfielder Brenden Aaronson to UEFA Champions League Club FC Red Bull Salzburg
- Philadelphia Union Draw D.C. United