Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jesus Bueno to New Contract
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that the club has reached an agreement on a new contract with midfielder Jesus Bueno. Under the new contract, the Venezuelan international is guaranteed through 2026 with an option for 2027.
"Jesus' growth and development over the last two seasons is a testament to his work ethic and potential," said Philadelphia Union Sporting Director, Ernst Tanner. "He has proven to be an important piece to our midfield; aggressive and advantageous in our transition on attack. We're happy to be able to reward him with a new contract."
In his 2023 campaign for the Union, Bueno made a career-high 24 appearances, as well as a career-high 10 starts, earning his first MLS regular season start against FC Cincinnati on April 8, 2023. He held an 82.8% pass percentage, the second-best conversion rate among all players on the team with at least 300 passes made, converting 367 passes out of 443 attempts. During this year's inaugural Leagues Cup, the 24-year-old started six of seven matches where he scored two goals, registered three assists, and scored twice in penalty kick shootouts. In the third-place match against CF Monterrey, Bueno scored in the 27th second to help the club secure a 2024 Concacaf Champions Cup berth.
With his impressive play, Bueno also earned his first call up to the Venezuelan National Team for a pair or World Cup qualification matches in August, followed by a second call up in October.
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union sign midfielder Jesus Bueno to a new contract through 2026 with an option for 2027 on December 1, 2023.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 1, 2023
- Houston Dynamo FC Face LAFC on Saturday for Place in MLS Cup - Houston Dynamo FC
- Whitecaps FC Roster Update in Advance of MLS Deadline to Exercise Player Contract Options - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Minnesota United 2023 End of Season Roster Decisions - Minnesota United FC
- Earthquakes Announce Roster Moves Ahead of 2024 MLS Season - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Hosts Houston Dynamo in Western Conference Final Tomorrow, Saturday, December 2 at BMO Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Austin FC Exercises Contract Option for Defender Hector Jimenez - Austin FC
- Sporting KC Announces Roster Moves - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Cincinnati Renew Rivalry in All-Ohio Eastern Conference Finals Match with Columbus Crew - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Announces Front Office & Technical Staff Changes - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF Academy Set to Compete at MLS NEXT Fest 2023 - Inter Miami CF
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Jesus Bueno to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- LA Galaxy Academy U-15s, U-17s to Compete at MLS NEXT Fest 2023 - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Announce 2023 Roster Decisions - D.C. United
- Over 350 of the U.S. and Canada's Top Youth Soccer Teams to Compete at MLS NEXT Fest 2023 - MLS
- Minnesota United, DJ Taylor Pen New Contract - Minnesota United FC
- New York Red Bulls Announce 2023 End of Year Roster Decisions - New York Red Bulls
- CF Montréal Exercises Options on Four Players for the 2024 Season - Club de Foot Montreal
- Contract Extension Announced for Forward Sunusi Ibrahim - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Bedoya Salvages Stoppage Time Goal On The Road
- Philadelphia Union Add Andrew Rick to Roster Ahead of Match against Sporting Kansas City
- Union Advance to Round of 16 of Concacaf Champions Cup
- Philadelphia Union Finish With a Draw Versus Chicago Fire FC, 2-2
- Philadelphia Union and Language Services Associates Announce Multi-Year Renewal with Launch of Club LSA