Philadelphia Union Forward Sergio Santos Voted MLS Player of the Week
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union forward Sergio Santos was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the 20th week of the 2020 MLS season.
Santos scored a hat trick in 69 minutes played to help Philadelphia secure a dominant 5-0 win over Toronto FC at Subaru Park on Saturday. He becomes the fourth player in Union history to accomplish the feat, the last time coming in 2017 by C.J. Sapong. In his last six games, Santos has scored five goals for the club and his seven regular-season goals are tied for first on the team. He becomes the 13th player in Union history to record ten regular-season goals in a single season.
Philadelphia is undefeated in its last five MLS regular season matches and have won a franchise-high seven consecutive home matches, making them the only undefeated team at home in the 2020 season. After their defeat of Toronto, the Union sit on top of the league with 41 points (12-3-5 overall).
Philadelphia took a 1-0 lead in the 27th minute when Santos finished a tremendous Kai Wagner cross with a header into the back right of the net. Following two additional Union goals, Santos increased Philadelphia's lead to 4-0 in the 63rd minute, this time finishing a Wagner cross into the box with a left footed shot ( watch goal).
Santos capped a tremendous match with his first career MLS hat trick to give the Union a decisive 5-0 advantage in the 68th minute. Brenden Aaronson led the Union on a breakaway and found Santos open in front of goal, where the 26-year-old Brazilian finished with a deft left footed touch past the goalkeeper.
Philadelphia continues action this week on Wednesday, Oct. 28 when they face Chicago Fire at Subaru Park (7:30 p.m. ET, PHL17) and on Sunday, Nov. 1 when facing the Columbus Crew at MAPFRE Stadium (3:30 p.m. ET, ABC).
This is the first MLS Player of the Week award for Santos, who joins a group of 13 different players in Union history to earn the recognition. The full list of Union POTW award winners is as follows: Sebastien Le Toux (2010 [2x]), Justin Mapp (2011), Jack McInerney (2013), Chris Pontius (2016), Roland Alberg (2016), Ilsinho (2016, 2019), CJ Sapong (2017), Borek Dockal (2018), Jay Simpson (2018), David Accam (2019). Alejandro Bedoya (2019) and Kacper Przybylko (2020).
Santos is joined on Major League Soccer's Team of the Week by teammates Kai Wagner (Defender), Andre Blake (Goalkeeper) and head coach Jim Curtin (Coach). Jose Martinez and Kacper Przybylko also made the bench this week, for a total of six Union members.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 26, 2020
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Faces Montreal Impact in New Jersey - Nashville SC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: October 26, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Colorado Rapids Announce Club Will Not Host Fans at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park on November 1 - Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: October 28, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Randall Leal, Walker Zimmerman Named to MLS Team of the Week - Nashville SC
- Atlanta United Confirms 1 Positive COVID-19 Case - Atlanta United FC
- Philadelphia Union Forward Sergio Santos Voted MLS Player of the Week - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC VOTE Tour Presented by Starbucks Kicks off Tomorrow, October 27 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Philadelphia Union Forward Sergio Santos Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- USL Provides Update on Orlando City B, Chattanooga Red Wolves Match - Orlando City SC
- Jack Price Dons Captain's Armband Inspired by Denver's Black Lives Matter Street Art - Colorado Rapids
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: October 26, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Philadelphia Union Exercise 2021 Options on Seven Players
- Philadelphia Union Sign Forward Cory Burke to New Contract
- Two Philadelphia Union Players to Join USMNT for Upcoming Friendly
- Philadelphia Union Ousted by New England Revolution 2-0
- Homegrown Stars and World Cup Veterans Headline 2020 MLS Best XI