Phantoms Fall to Tri-City 4-1
YOUNGSTOWN, OH - Two goals for the Tri-City Storm late in the second period put the game out of reach for the Youngstown Phantoms (13-15-4-1, 31 points), who dropped a 4-1 decision to their Western Conference foe Friday night at the Covelli Centre.
"Definitely not pleased," said Phantoms Head Coach Brad Patterson. "Not only was our execution not very good tonight, our compete level was poor to say the least, and that's not going to cut it against anybody."
Tri-City opened the scoring just 95 seconds into regulation. Mitchell Miller floated a wrister from center point that found its way through the five-hole of Colin Purcell (24 saves) to give the Storm a 1-0 lead.
Youngstown responded at 4:45 to tie the game. Caden Lewandowski knocked a puck from the slot off the left-wing wall and Jayson Dobay played the carom into a full slapper that tucked just inside the top-right corner of the net for his fourth goal of the season, knotting the game at 1-1.
Tri-City regained the lead off a net-front scramble late in the second period. With a rebound loose in the crease and a teammate falling into Purcell, Colby Ambrosio stuffed the puck into the net for his 20th of the season at 17:14, putting the Storm ahead 2-1. Tri-City doubled their lead when Miller stepped between the circles and fired a backhander past Purcell with just 13 seconds left in the period, increasing the Storm's lead to 3-1. Purcell did not start the third period and was replaced by Dominic Basse (5 saves). The Storm tacked on the final goal of the night 6:36 into the period when Joe Berg snapped a wrister from the hashmarks past Basse to make up the final margin.
Youngstown and Tri-City will wrap up their season series tomorrow night at the Covelli Centre. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05pm Eastern, and the game will be broadcast live on Western Reserve Radio and HockeyTV. A re-airing of the game will be available later next week on Armstrong Cable.
By the Numbers
Shots - 19
Saves - 29
Power Play - 0/4
Penalty Kill - 3/4
Goals - Dobay
Assists - Dahm, Lewandowski
Box Score - https://www.ushl.com/view/#/game-summary/9162
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2020
- Phantoms Fall to Tri-City 4-1 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Strong Third Period Leads Gamblers Past the Capitols 5-4 - Green Bay Gamblers
- Kelly's Shootout Goal Gives Lumberjacks Thrilling 3-2 Victory, Extends Winning Streak to Three Games - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Stampede Drop Series Opener to Sioux City - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Lancers Fall in OT to Steel, 5-4 - Omaha Lancers
- Capitols Falter Late in Loss to Gamblers - Madison Capitols
- Storm Open Weekend with 4-1 Win over Phantoms - Tri-City Storm
- Black Hawks/Saints Friday Game Postponed - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Ben Schultheis Commits to Ferris State - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Preview: Storm Set for Weekend Series against Phantoms - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.