Strong Third Period Leads Gamblers Past the Capitols 5-4
Green Bay took on the Madison Capitols tonight in a thrilling game. After a slow start that saw the Green Bay down 3-0 at the end of the first, the Gamblers would come out firing in the final period and battle back to win 5-4.
Capitols captain Carson Bantle would start the night off quickly with a goal in the first two minutes of the game. By the end of the first Madison would add another two more goals and lead 3-0 after the 1st. The Gamblers did push the pace and outshot the 17-7 in the period.
The second period was more of the same. The Gamblers again came out firing and outshot Madison 20-7. However, only Chad Hillebrand was able to crack the code with his ninth goal of the season. Madison forward Reid Pabich would answer with his second of the night for the Capitols to make it 4-1 when heading into the third.
With all the chips on the table, the Gamblers would come back with vengeance on their mind. Green Bay would come out firing on all cylinders in the third period. Four unanswered goals lifted the Gamblers past the Capitols. It was a thrilling final period at the Resch that kept the fans excited throughout the final 20 minutes. The Gamblers goal scorers in the third included Camden Thiesing (8), Ryan O'Reilly (11), Alex Servagno (6), and Jake Schmaltz (7) who scored the game-winning goal.
Gamblers are back at the Resch tomorrow to take on Madison once again. Puck drops at 7:05 for the sixth meeting between the two teams. Tickets are available at www.gamblershockey.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2020
- Phantoms Fall to Tri-City 4-1 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Strong Third Period Leads Gamblers Past the Capitols 5-4 - Green Bay Gamblers
- Kelly's Shootout Goal Gives Lumberjacks Thrilling 3-2 Victory, Extends Winning Streak to Three Games - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Stampede Drop Series Opener to Sioux City - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Lancers Fall in OT to Steel, 5-4 - Omaha Lancers
- Capitols Falter Late in Loss to Gamblers - Madison Capitols
- Storm Open Weekend with 4-1 Win over Phantoms - Tri-City Storm
- Black Hawks/Saints Friday Game Postponed - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Ben Schultheis Commits to Ferris State - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Preview: Storm Set for Weekend Series against Phantoms - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.