Pentecost, Blue Jays Stage Comeback for Win
The Dunedin Blue Jays (8-7) fell behind early to the St. Lucie Mets (7-8) on Thursday night at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium, but their offense stormed back using a six-run fifth inning on their way to a 6-4 win. After four straight batters had reached and scored for the Jays in the fifth, 1B Max Pentecost put the game away with a towering two-run shot to leftfield.
"I've mainly been focused on getting that one pitch in each bat and not missing. I've been trying to lay off stuff out of the zone when they try to nitpick me and then jump on the fastball," Pentecost said following the game about his big night and the seven-game hitting streak he's currently on.
For the first time this season, a Blue Jays starter went six full innings, albeit not technically in a start. LHP T.J. Zeuch, who had originally been scheduled to start the game but was bumped back for rehabbing Toronto reliever J.P Howell, entered the game after Howell threw a scoreless first inning and tossed six strong, allowing two earned on three hits and striking out three. He was credited with the win, his first on the year and first in the Florida State League. RHP Andrew Case was credited with the save, throwing the ninth, after LHP Danny Young threw a scoreless eighth inning.
The Blue Jays six-run fifth inning featured some timely hitting, but also aggressive baserunning. Following his leadoff single, RF Derick Loveless stole both second and third base. CF Lane Thomas swiped second base after walking, and LF DJ Davis stole second after reaching on a fielder's choice. The four stolen bases in the inning were more than the Dunedin team had previously stolen in an entire game this season.
The Blue Jays are back in action in Dunedin tomorrow night at 6:30 PM against the Fort Myers Miracle. RHP Conor Fisk (0-1, 2.53 ERA) will be on the mound for the Jays against RHP Keaton Steele (0-2, 6.30 ERA). .
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from April 21, 2017
- Charlotte Routes Palm Beach - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Didi Begins Rehab with Tampa. Lakeland Wins - Tampa Yankees
- Bats Stay Hot with Win in Dunedin - Fort Myers Miracle
- Bradenton Fall to Jupiter - Bradenton Marauders
- Threshers Drop Pitchers' Duel, 3-1 to Fire Frogs - Clearwater Threshers
- Tortugas Hold off Late Charge, Defeat Mets 5-3 - St. Lucie Mets
- Mets Open Exciting Six-Game Home Stand on Tuesday - St. Lucie Mets
- Daytona Walks-Off Charlotte to End Skid - Daytona Tortugas
- Pentecost, Blue Jays Stage Comeback for Win - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Threshers Down Bradenton 6-1 to Take Series - Clearwater Threshers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.