Charlotte Routes Palm Beach
Jupiter, FL - Derian Gonzalez got the start tonight and was not sharp at all. He tossed 5.1 innings giving up five runs on seven hits, walking two and striking out two as well. The Stone Crabs struck first as Brandon Lowe hit a one out single and Brett Sullivan doubled to left getting Lowe to third. Kevin Padlo then hit a ball to center field that allowed Lowe to score.
Randy Arozarena tried to get things going for Palm Beach right away as he hit another leadoff double. He was then left at second in the top of the first keeping the Stone Crabs up 1-0.
Charlotte scored again in the third inning to go up 2-1. They would score two more in the fifth inning Peter Maris and Angel Moreno started the frame with back-to-back singles. Moreno got to second on a wild pitch. Lowe hit a single scoring Maris and getting Moreno to third. Brett Sullivan hit a Sacrifice fly to make it 4-0 Charlotte after five.
Gonzalez came back to the mound in the sixth and walked Dalton Kelly to begin the frame and stole second. He got Ryan Boldt to fly out and then threw a wild pitch to get Kelly to third. He walked David Olmedo-Barrera following the wild pitch that ended his evening.
Steven De La Cruz came into the game and got a ground ball that scored Kelly. De La Cruz then got out of the inning on the next pitch on another ground out.
The bright spot for the Cardinals came in the sixth inning, when Chris Chinea and Edmundo Sosa hit back-to-back infield singles. The single by Sosa put his hit streak to six.
The seventh inning is where the wheels fell off for the Cardinals. Cronenworth singled to start the inning, Lowe walked and Sullivan singled to load the bases. De La Cruz walked the next two batters to make it 7-0. Austin Sexton came in to replace De La Cruz and threw a wild pitch to the second batter to give Charlotte the eight run lead. Maris grounded out to score Kevin Padlo and that was all the Stone Crabs scored in the eighth to make it a 9-0 game.
Charlotte grabbed one more run in the eighth to make it 10-0, which would end up the final score of the game.
The Cardinals and Stone Crabs meet up once again tomorrow. Ryan Helsley gets the ball tomorrow for Bilardello's Cardinals.
Images from this story
Game Recap 4-21
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from April 21, 2017
- Charlotte Routes Palm Beach - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Didi Begins Rehab with Tampa. Lakeland Wins - Tampa Yankees
- Bats Stay Hot with Win in Dunedin - Fort Myers Miracle
- Bradenton Fall to Jupiter - Bradenton Marauders
- Threshers Drop Pitchers' Duel, 3-1 to Fire Frogs - Clearwater Threshers
- Tortugas Hold off Late Charge, Defeat Mets 5-3 - St. Lucie Mets
- Mets Open Exciting Six-Game Home Stand on Tuesday - St. Lucie Mets
- Daytona Walks-Off Charlotte to End Skid - Daytona Tortugas
- Pentecost, Blue Jays Stage Comeback for Win - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Threshers Down Bradenton 6-1 to Take Series - Clearwater Threshers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Palm Beach Cardinals Stories
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium Announces Home 2019 Florida State League Schedule
- Palm Beach Cardinals Begin Push for Back-to-Back Florida State League Championships
- Rick Ankiel to Throw out Ceremonial First Pitch at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium on Tuesday, August 14th
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium August & September Promotional Schedule
- Homage to the Beard Night Tuesday, June 26th