Penner Gets Shutout as Eagles Take Series Lead
MOLINE, Ill. - The Colorado Eagles defeated the Quad City Mallards, 2-0, in Game 3 of their Turner Conference opening round series, taking a 2-1 lead in the best-of-five match-up. Andrew Penner recorded the ninth playoff shutout in franchise history, stopping 28 shots in a goaltending duel against David Brown.
The Eagles out-shot the Mallards 12-7 in the first period, but neither team was able to get on the scoreboard. Colorado hit a crossbar and a post, while Quad City had its own fair share of good chances.
Colorado dominated the first half of the second stanza on the way to out-shooting the Mallards 18-9 in the period. But still, the Eagles couldn't get a puck past Brown and hit another post early on. Penner was just as strong at the other end of the ice, denying several chances later in the frame, keeping Quad City off the scoreboard through a second 20 minutes of play.
The Mallards came out strong to start the third period (in which they out-shooting Colorado 12-8), but Penner answered with his best period of the night. As the time clicked off the clock, the game appeared destined to go to overtime -- just like the first two games of the series -- deadlocked at 0.
But with just 3:21 left, Dan Sullivan poked home a Scott May rebound from the right side of the crease to break the stalemate, and Riley Nelson added his fourth goal of the playoffs into an empty net with 16 seconds left to put the win on ice.
The two teams will meet Wednesday night in Game 4. If the Mallards win, Game 5 will be played at the Budweiser Events Center Saturday, April 9.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from April 5, 2011
- Mudbugs Down Arizona 5-1, Grab 2-1 Series Lead - Arizona Sundogs
- Texas Defeated In Third Period - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sundogs Donate $15,000 To Charity Partners - Arizona Sundogs
- RiverKings Fall To Oilers, Series Tied 2-2 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Eagles Blank Mallards 2-0, Push Flock to Brink - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Force Game 5 with 2-1 Win Over Thunder - Kansas City Mavericks
- Odessa Leads Best-of-Five Series, 2-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Nolan, Mavs Force Game Five on Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Penner Gets Shutout as Eagles Take Series Lead - Colorado Eagles
- Gems End Season With 4-3 Loss To Rapid City - Dayton Gems
- Rush Complete Sweep Of Gems, Move On To Round Two - Rapid City Rush
- PrairieThunder this Week - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Komets and Thunder Clash Wednesday in Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Komets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.