Nolan, Mavs Force Game Five on Thunder
WICHITA, KS- The Wichita Thunder lost 2-1 to the Missouri Mavericks in Game Four of the Opening Round at the INTRUST Bank Arena on Tuesday night. The series is now tied 2-2 heading back to Missouri for a decisive Game Five on Wednesday night.
Mavericks' goaltender Rob Nolan stopped 38 of 39, while the Mavericks weathered three Thunder power plays in the third to help Missouri even the series.
The teams battled to a scoreless tie after the first period. Rob Nolan made two key saves to keep Wichita off the board, stopping Daniel Tetrault on a centering pass from Brent Cullaton, and later denying Cullaton from point blank range on a pass from Jesse Bennefield.
With the game still scoreless midway through the second, the teams combined for three goals separated by 1:04 that ultimately led to the Mavericks taking a 2-1 lead into the second intermission. At 8:43, Toby Lafrance scored to the short side of the net from the right half boards, giving the Mavericks a 1-0 lead. Nick Sirota followed at 9:38, tapping in a shot just around the left skate of Marc-Antoine Gelinas to make it 2-0. Just nine seconds after Sirota's goal, Jesse Bennefield took Cullaton's pass from behind the net and shot past Nolan from the bottom of the right circle to cut Missouri's lead in half.
Nolan's final key save came in the third when he stopped a close range shot by A.J. Gale during a Thunder power play.
Gelinas took the loss, saving 28 of 30. Wichita was 0 for 7 on the power play, including two extended five-on-three chances. Missouri was 0 for 6.
Game Five is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. on Wednesday night. All the action can be heard live on Sports Radio 1550 KKLE and Oldies 93.5 KWME as well as worldwide at www.kleyam.com Call the Thunder office for more information about the 2011 playoffs at (316) 264-GOAL or by visiting the Thunder's official website at www.wichitathunder.com
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from April 5, 2011
- Mudbugs Down Arizona 5-1, Grab 2-1 Series Lead - Arizona Sundogs
- Texas Defeated In Third Period - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sundogs Donate $15,000 To Charity Partners - Arizona Sundogs
- RiverKings Fall To Oilers, Series Tied 2-2 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Eagles Blank Mallards 2-0, Push Flock to Brink - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Force Game 5 with 2-1 Win Over Thunder - Kansas City Mavericks
- Odessa Leads Best-of-Five Series, 2-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Nolan, Mavs Force Game Five on Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Penner Gets Shutout as Eagles Take Series Lead - Colorado Eagles
- Gems End Season With 4-3 Loss To Rapid City - Dayton Gems
- Rush Complete Sweep Of Gems, Move On To Round Two - Rapid City Rush
- PrairieThunder this Week - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Komets and Thunder Clash Wednesday in Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Komets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.