Eagles Blank Mallards 2-0, Push Flock to Brink
MOLINE, Ill. (April 5, 2011) - Dan Sullivan broke a scoreless tie with 3:21 left in the third period and Andrew Penner made 28 saves as the Colorado Eagles blanked the host Quad City Mallards 2-0 Tuesday night and pushed the Mallards to the brink of elimination by taking a two games to one lead in the best-of-five opening round of the Ray Miron Presidents' Cup Playoffs. The Mallards must win game four tomorrow night on home ice or see their season end.
Sullivan pounced on a loose puck and buried it from close range to give the Eagles a late 1-0 lead. With just 16 seconds remaining, Riley Nelson's empty net goal finished off the Mallards.
Penner was at his busiest in the third period, turning aside a dozen shots as the Mallards out-chanced Colorado in the final 20 minutes. David Brown's fine 36-save effort in the Mallard net was not quite enough for Quad City.
Game four faces off at 7:05 p.m. tomorrow evening. Should the series go to a fifth game, the Eagles would host the deciding contest Saturday night at 8:05 p.m.
Mallards first round playoff tickets can be purchased in person at the i wireless Center box office, at Ticketmaster outlets, through www.ticketmaster.com or through Ticketmaster charge-by-phone toll free at 1-800-745-3000. The ticket office is open Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and on game days from 10:00 a.m. until the end of the first period.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from April 5, 2011
- Mudbugs Down Arizona 5-1, Grab 2-1 Series Lead - Arizona Sundogs
- Texas Defeated In Third Period - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sundogs Donate $15,000 To Charity Partners - Arizona Sundogs
- RiverKings Fall To Oilers, Series Tied 2-2 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Eagles Blank Mallards 2-0, Push Flock to Brink - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Force Game 5 with 2-1 Win Over Thunder - Kansas City Mavericks
- Odessa Leads Best-of-Five Series, 2-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Nolan, Mavs Force Game Five on Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Penner Gets Shutout as Eagles Take Series Lead - Colorado Eagles
- Gems End Season With 4-3 Loss To Rapid City - Dayton Gems
- Rush Complete Sweep Of Gems, Move On To Round Two - Rapid City Rush
- PrairieThunder this Week - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Komets and Thunder Clash Wednesday in Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Komets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings