Odessa Leads Best-of-Five Series, 2-1
ODESSA, TX - Sebastien Thinel and Todd Robinson each recorded four-point games as the Odessa Jackalopes scored three in the third period to edge the Texas Brahmas, 4-3, at the Ector County Coliseum on Tuesday night. With the win, Odessa takes a 2-1 series lead over the Brahmas in the Opening Round of the Ray Miron Presidents' Cup Playoffs.
Thinel was responsible for two of Odessa's third period goals as he gave the Jacks a 3-2 lead six minutes into the frame and then scored the game-winner with 6:36 left to play - 31 seconds after Chad Woollard tied the game for Texas.
Odessa's Alex Dunn scored 1:25 into the third period also to knot the game at 2-2.
The Jackalopes broke a scoreless tie just over two minutes into the second period as Kevin Seibel scored his first of the postseason on a rebound in front of the net for a power play goal. Texas countered back with two unanswered as Calin Wild buried a loose puck with just under five minutes to play in the frame, and Jason Deitch scored a power play tally less than two minutes later.
Despite outshooting Texas 21-9 in the middle frame, and having five power play opportunities, the Jacks found themselves down on the scoreboard, 2-1, through forty minutes of play.
Joel Martin stopped 27 shots to pick up his second playoff win in as many games. Wayne Savage took the loss for Texas despite a 37-save performance.
Robinson also extended his point streak to 20 games stretching back into the regular season with his four assists on the night. Thinel finished with two goals and two assists.
Game four will be played in the Permian Basin on Thursday at 7:05 PM CST. With a win, the Jacks can advance to the Conference Semifinal round. A loss would set up a deciding fifth game on Saturday in North Richland Hills, TX.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-7825 or visiting jackalopes.org.
Follow the Jackalopes all year long on Facebook and Twitter -- Twitter.com/ODEJackalopes.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from April 5, 2011
- Mudbugs Down Arizona 5-1, Grab 2-1 Series Lead - Arizona Sundogs
- Texas Defeated In Third Period - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Sundogs Donate $15,000 To Charity Partners - Arizona Sundogs
- RiverKings Fall To Oilers, Series Tied 2-2 - Mississippi RiverKings
- Eagles Blank Mallards 2-0, Push Flock to Brink - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Force Game 5 with 2-1 Win Over Thunder - Kansas City Mavericks
- Odessa Leads Best-of-Five Series, 2-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Nolan, Mavs Force Game Five on Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Penner Gets Shutout as Eagles Take Series Lead - Colorado Eagles
- Gems End Season With 4-3 Loss To Rapid City - Dayton Gems
- Rush Complete Sweep Of Gems, Move On To Round Two - Rapid City Rush
- PrairieThunder this Week - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Komets and Thunder Clash Wednesday in Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Komets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.