LAST WEEK'S RESULTS
Friday, April 19, PENGUINS 2, Sharks 4
A 2-2 tie late in regulation quickly turned into a two-goal victory win as Freddie Hamilton's two shorthanded goals helped pushed Worcester past Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, 4-2, at Mohegan Sun Arena.
After Adam Comrie put the Sharks ahead, 2-1, on the power play at 6:00 of the third, the Penguins responded seven minutes later on Riley Holzapfel's 21st goal of the season. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton was awarded a man-advantage with 2:52 to play, but it was Hamilton striking for Worcester and again soon thereafter with an empty-net insurance goal.
Adam Payerl notched his third of the season for the Penguins 3:08 into the contest. Jeff Zatkoff had his six-game winning streak come to an end, stopping 21-of-24s.
Saturday, April 20, PENGUINS 1, Monarchs 3
Martin Jones made 36 saves for Manchester as the Monarchs were able to secure a playoff berth on Saturday night, thanks in part to their 3-1 win over the Penguins.
The game would remain scoreless until 31 seconds into the third period when David Kolomatis roofed a wrist shot to make it 1-0 for Manchester. Midway through the same period, Andy Andreoff potted the eventual game-winner with Manchester on the power play.
The Penguins pulled within one with 79 seconds remaining - skating on a man-advantage and with the extra attacker - as Paul Thompson netted his 20th of the year to make the score, 2-1. Tanner Pearson put the game out of each a short time later, scoring into the empty net. Brad Thiessen suffered the loss for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton with 17 saves on 19 shots.
Game 1 - Saturday, April 27, 7:05 PM - Penguins at SENATORS - 102.3 the Mountain
Game 2 - Sunday, April 28, 5:05 PM - Penguins at SENATORS - 102.3 the Mountain
The Penguins fell in the 2012-13 season series against the Binghamton Senators, going 4-6-0-0, but closed out the head-to-head match-up with three straight victories. The Senators missed the postseason last year after taking home the Calder Cup in 2011. Binghamton finished the regular season in second place in the East Division with a record of 44-24-1-7. The Senators have reached the playoff five times in their 11-year history and have an all-time record of 26-19.
Game 3 - Thursday, May 2, 7:05 PM - PENGUINS vs. Senators - 102.3 the Mountain
Game 4 (if necessary) - Saturday, May 4, 7:05 PM - PENGUINS vs. Senators - 102.3 the Mountain
Game 5 (if necessary) - Monday, May 6, 7:05 PM - Penguins at SENATORS - 102.3 the Mountain
FINAL PENGUINS TEAM LEADERS as of 4/22/13...
PLAYER GP G A PTS
Chad Kolarik 76 31 37 68
Trevor Smith 75 23 31 54
Riley Holzapfel 76 21 30 51
Derek Nesbitt 67 26 21 47
Brian Gibbons 70 8 22 30
GOALIE GP REC SO GAA SV%
Jeff Zatkoff 49 26-20-0 5 1.93 .920
Brad Thiessen 32 16-12-2 4 2.68 .902
FINAL EAST DIVISION STANDINGS as of 4/22/13...
TEAM GP W L OTL SOL PTS
1. Syracuse Crunch 76 43 22 6 5 97
2. Binghamton Senators 76 44 24 1 6 96
3. PENGUINS 76 42 30 2 2 88
4. Hershey Bears 76 36 31 3 6 81
5. Norfolk Admirals 76 37 34 4 1 79
- Chad Kolarik finished the regular season tied for third in the AHL in points (68) and goals (31), first in power play points (30) and second in power play goals (15) and shots (243).
- Jeff Zatkoff ended 2012-13 with the league's best goals against average at 1.93.
- Zatkoff and Brad Thiessen won the AHL's Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award for the league's lowest GAA. It is the third time Penguins goaltenders have won this award.
- Trevor Smith wrapped up his regular season with a six-game point streak (2g-6a) and was also tied for second in the AHL with 20 power play assists.
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton owned the best defense in the league, allowing just 2.34 goals per game, and were also tied for first in shots allowed at 25.7
- The Penguins' penalty kill was tops in the league this season with an 87.2% success rate (307-for-352).
PENGUINS RECENT TRANSACTIONS...
04/18/2013 Steve MacIntyre LW DEL Recalled from loan by Pittsburgh (NHL)
04/17/2013 Anton Zlobin LW ADD Signed to ATO
04/17/2013 Matia Marcantuoni RW ADD Signed to ATO
PLAYOFF TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW...
Tickets for individual playoff games are on sale now to the general public and are available at the Box Office at Mohegan Sun Arena, through any Ticketmaster outlet, or online at ticketmaster.com. Tickets also can be purchased via phone by calling 1-800-745-3000.
Playoff ticket packages are available by contacting the Penguins Front Office at (570) 208-PENS and include a Penguins playoff T-Shirt with each seat purchased.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 22, 2013
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Canadiens Recall Eight from Bulldogs - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Four Phantoms Headed to Philly - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Weekly - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Florida Panthers Recall Colby Robak - San Antonio Rampage
- Worcester Sharks 2012-13 Season Wrap up - Worcester Sharks Weekly - Worcester Sharks
- Florida Panthers Sign Logan Shaw to Entry-Level Contract - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Go Down Fighting, Finish Season with 42 Wins - Rockford IceHogs
- Portland Pirates Announce 20th Anniversary All-Time Team - Portland Pirates
- Coyotes Assign Chad Johnson and Nick Johnson to Portland - Portland Pirates
- Iowa Wild to hit the ice this fall - Iowa Wild
- Hellberg Named AHL Player of the Week - Milwaukee Admirals
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Dowell, Harding and Veilleux from Houston - Houston Aeros
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Milwaukee's Magnus Hellberg Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Savard Assigned to Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- The Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- Whale Weekly, April 22-28 - Connecticut Whale
- Jets Recall Redmond from Conditioning Assignment with IceCaps - St. John's IceCaps
- Last-Day Ticket Punch - Hershey Bears
- Bruins Announce Dates for Conference Quarterfinals - Providence Bruins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Sign Goaltender Shane Starrett
- Forrest Named Head Coach, Karmanos Named GM of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Mike Vellucci, Todd Reirden Hired as Assistant Coaches by Pittsburgh
- Penguins Sign Felix Robert and Luke Stevens
- Pittsburgh's Postseason Roster Features 19 Alumni of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton