Penguins shut out for second straight night, 3-0
The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins' scoring woes continued on Sunday evening, as they dropped a 3-0 decision to the Binghamton Senators at the Wachovia Arena at Casey Plaza.
The shutout was the second in a row handed to the Pens, after they fell in a 4-0 contest to the Albany River Rats on Saturday night.
The Penguins record now stands at 7-8-0-0 on the season, while Binghamton sits just above them in the East Division standings at 7-8-1-0.
The home club came out flying in the first period, but couldn't break Jeff Glass, despite shelling him with 14 shots in the opening 20 minutes.
Binghamton snapped the tie 22 seconds into the second period, as Lawrence Nycholat blasted a shot past a screened John Curry and into the far corner. The goal was the first of the season for the former Hershey Bears defenseman.
Senators captain Denis Hamel stretched the lead, picking up a rebound while the Pens were on the power play, coming down two-on-one and beating Curry short side from the left faceoff circle at 7:55.
Justin Mapletoft finished off the scoring with an empty net tally at 19:23 of the third.
Glass turned away 28 shots for his first shutout of the season. Curry stopped 22 of 24 shots in his first career AHL game.
The Penguins return to action on Wednesday night, when they host the Worcester Sharks at 7:05pm. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton will look to get a modicum of revenge next weekend, when they once again take on the Senators, this time in a home-and-home series beginning Friday night at the Wachovia Arena.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 18, 2007
- Moose wear out Monsters - Manitoba Moose
- Penguins shut out for second straight night, 3-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Rampage's LeNeveu shuts door on Chicago's unbeaten streak - San Antonio Rampage
- Moose slay Monsters for fourth straight win - Manitoba Moose
- Klepis leads Bears to 3-2 comeback win over Albany - Albany River Rats
- Devils upended by Admirals, 2-1 - Albany Devils
- P-Bruins fall to Falcons 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Rockford outlasts Toronto 5-3 - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals strike down Devils - Norfolk Admirals
- Wolf Pack sign Ryan Murphy to PTO - Connecticut Whale
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.