Pels Sign Local Pitcher
Today the Pensacola Pelicans announce the signing of rookie left-handed pitcher Todd Androsko.
Androsko pitched four years at the University of West Florida achieving several personal and school records along the way. This past season (2006), was Androsko's best as he went 9-3 with a 2.78 ERA and 84 strikeouts in 106.2 innings of work.
- UWF All-Time Leader with 300 strikeouts
- UWF All-Time Leader with 369 Innings Pitched
- UWF All-Time Leader with 57 starts
- UWF Second All-Time 28 wins
- All-Gulf South Conference First Team in Freshman, Sophomore and Senior Year
- All-Gulf South Conference Second Team in Junior Year
- Gulf South Conference East Division Pitcher of the Week
- Led UWF in strikeouts three of his four years
- 14 complete games, seven shutouts
"Todd had a great career at UWF. He's got three or four different pitches and we look for him to throw strikes and be a good addition to the team," said Pelicans Field Manager Kash Beauchamp. "One thing we like about him is his great pick-off move to first base and his ability to control the running game."
Having a local player on the Pelicans roster is always a plus for the community and the team. Pelicans coaching staff welcomes any player who can play at the professional level, especially those being from the Pensacola area. Androsko will be the 12th player to come out of the great area high schools, colleges, or Universities to play for the Pelicans.
"Todd was a great 4-year starter for us, he deserves this opportunity to play professional baseball," said University of West Florida Head Coach Mike Jeffcoat. "Playing for the Pelicans will be a spring board for him and will increase his exposure for the chance to play with a major league team."
Beauchamp added, "The Pelicans would like to create a working relationship with UWF players and create a pipeline between UWF and the Pelicans."
The Pelicans release left-handed pitcher Charles O'Neal in order to make room for Androsko on the roster.
INSIDE SCOOP - *On May 27th from 10 a.m. - Noon Pelican Players will be greeting fans and signing autographs at Sonshine Pets at 3180 Gulf Breeze Pkwy. *Then from Noon - 2 p.m. at the Terry Wayne East Youth Ball Park on West Jackson Street Scoop will join the players at the 13th annual Big Community Cookout conducted by the Community Arts and Recreation Association.
** Catch the Pelican's Coach's Show Every Saturday From 12-1 @ New York Nicks or on AM 1620**
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 26, 2006
- American Association Recaps - AA
- Moreno hits walk-off to end Blacksnakes night - Sioux City Explorers
- Aviators down division foe Diablos - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Pelican's Streak Comes to an End as Shreveport Steals One in Pelican Park - Pensacola Pelicans
- Saltdogs Starter Strikes Out Nine - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Pace Coach Headlines Pelican's Radio Show - Pensacola Pelicans
- Pels Sign Local Pitcher - Pensacola Pelicans
- Hot Pelicans welcome Sports - Pensacola Pelicans
- Blacksnakes End Homestand on Sour Note - St. Joseph Blacksnakes
- American Association Recaps - AA
- Canaries fall one run short - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pensacola Pelicans Stories
- News from Northwest Florida Professional Baseball LLC.
- Pensacola Baseball Sells 500th Season Ticket
- Pels Training Academy Hosts 7th & 8th Grade Prep Skill Camp
- Pensacola Home to Minor League Baseball Team in 2012
- Palmisano named to Baseball America first team Independent Baseball team