Pensacola Home to Minor League Baseball Team in 2012
Quint and Rishy Studer of Pensacola, Florida have purchased the Carolina Mudcats, the Double-A affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds. The Mudcats will move from Zebulon, North Carolina to Pensacola beginning in 2012. The Pensacola franchise will remain in Minor League Baseball's Southern League. In a corresponding move, the Kinston Indians (Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Cleveland Indians) of the Carolina League will move to Five County Stadium in Zebulon for the 2012 season. The Indians Class A-Advanced club will retain the Carolina Mudcats name.
"I am extremely proud and excited for the actions that are being announced today," said Quint Studer. "Bringing affiliated baseball to Pensacola will continue to add to the rich sports history that already exists in the area. Seeing the future stars of Major League baseball in a fun, family friendly atmosphere will bring a new level of enthusiasm for the citizens of Pensacola and Northwest Florida."
The new home of the Reds' Double-A affiliate will be located at Maritime Park, the premier waterfront mixed use development on the Gulf Coast. The team will play the 2011 season in North Carolina before relocating to the new state-of-the-art facility starting in April of 2012.
"The Southern League is one of the most respected leagues within baseball. With this move we are joining several upstanding franchises, including the Mobile BayBears who graciously allowed us to share their territory to make this all possible for the City of Pensacola. It is an honor to be associated with a league that boasts talented alumni like Chipper Jones, Joey Votto, Alex Rodriguez, Tim Hudson and Miguel Cabrera," added Studer.
Quint and Rishy Studer owned the Pensacola Pelicans, an Independent Baseball team in the American Association, from 2001 to 2010. In order to transition the Reds' Double-A team to Pensacola in 2012, the Pelicans were sold to an ownership group in Amarillo, Texas where the team will play the 2011 season.
For more information on Pensacola's Double-A team or 2012 season tickets call (850) 934-8444. A first-come-first-serve list will be developed to select season tickets once the seating diagram has been finalized. 2010 Pelicans season ticket holders will have first priority in the seat selection.
Additional information about the team will be posted on pensacolapelicans.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from December 16, 2010
- X's One Day Only Holiday Sale Set for Tomorrow - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Release 2011 Schedule - Kansas City T-Bones
- Winnipeg's Sports Radio 1290 Remains Official Voice of the Goldeyes for Three More Years - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RedHawks Re-Sign Laber, Zoltak - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- RailCats Announce 2011 Schedule; Home Opener May 20 - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pheasants Exercise Their Option on Brandon Sing for 2011 - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Re-Sign Second All-Star this Week, Concordia University Grad Jake Schmidt - St. Paul Saints
- Pensacola Home to Minor League Baseball Team in 2012 - Pensacola Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Pensacola Pelicans Stories
- News from Northwest Florida Professional Baseball LLC.
- Pensacola Baseball Sells 500th Season Ticket
- Pels Training Academy Hosts 7th & 8th Grade Prep Skill Camp
- Pensacola Home to Minor League Baseball Team in 2012
- Palmisano named to Baseball America first team Independent Baseball team