Paulson's Showing Undone by Cold Bats
A two-run fifth inning by the Bowie Baysox broke a scoreless tie and led to a 2-0 win over the Akron RubberDucks during a morning Education Day game at Canal Park on Tuesday.
With the game scoreless entering the fifth inning, Bowie scored twice on three hits off Akron starter Jake Paulson. Catcher Martin Cervenka walked to leadoff the inning and he scored on an RBI single by Preson Palmeiro. The second run came in on a single from Ryan McKenna.
Akron starter Jake Paulson allowed two runs on five hits and two walks while striking out three over six innings pitched. He kept the Baysox off the board until the sixth inning when a leadoff walk was followed by back-to-back singles to score the first run. After getting a strikeout and having a hitter reach on an error, McKenna singled in the second run before Paulson got Rylan Bannon to bounce into an inning-ending double play. Reliever Ben Krauth pitched a scoreless seventh despite two walks and Argenis Angulo allowed one hit and fanned four in two innings to close the game. Bowie starter Zac Lowther was in command, keeping Akron scoreless in 7.2 innings, allowing six hits and a walk while striking out seven.
The Ducks managed six hits against the Baysox with Daniel Johnson having the only multi-hit game. The closest Akron came to scoreing came in the sixth inning when Ka'ai Tom had a one-out walk and Nellie Rodriguez singled him to second base, however, Johnson struck out and Wilson Garcia flied out to center to end the inning.
After hitting 13 home runs and scoring 35 runs over the previous four games, Akron had no extra-base hits or runs...Johnson extended his hitting streak to seven games (9-for-29, .310) with a double and four home runs. It was his eighth multi-hit game of the season, which ranks second on the Ducks (Pantoja, 10)...Connor Marabell's second-inning single gave him a six-game hitting streak (8-for-24, .333)...It was Akron's sixth shutout loss of 2019...Time of Game: 2:17...Attendance: 4,955.
On the Pond
The RubberDucks and Baysox conclude the three-game series with another 10:35 a.m. Education Day game tomorrow with LHP Sam Hentges (1-5, 5.67) scheduled for Akron and LHP Alex Wells (2-1, 3.05) scheduled for Bowie. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Kay's Shutout, Mazeika's Grand Slam Lead to DH Sweep - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Fightins salvage second game of doubleheader with 8-1 win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Diaz's Two-Hit Shutout Leads NH to Game 1 Win in Tuesday's DH Split - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- SeaWolves Walk-Off on Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Sens Rally for Five in the Eighth, Beat Trenton 6-5 - Harrisburg Senators
- 8th Inning Rally Thwarts Brilliant Outing from Abreu - Trenton Thunder
- Yard Goats 'Re-Koop' for Bounce Back Win - Hartford Yard Goats
- Hartford Shuts Down the 'Dogs, 8-0 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Lowther Dominates Ducks, 2-0 - Bowie Baysox
- Paulson's Showing Undone by Cold Bats - Akron RubberDucks
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 14th vs. Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: GM #32 Rumble Ponies (19-12) vs. Altoona Curve (18-17) - 5:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Homestand Preview #4: There's No Crying in Baseball - Bowie Baysox
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Pony Power Pops RubberDucks
- Big Triple Helps Stop RubberDucks's Skid
- Ponies Trample RubberDucks
- Akron RubberDucks Homestand Highlights (July 18-21)
- Early Runs Set up Erie Sweep