Yard Goats 'Re-Koop' for Bounce Back Win
PORTLAND, ME- Jack Wynkoop pitched six scoreless innings and Brett Boswell and Manny Melendez each had three hits, as the Hartford Yard Goats bounced back for an 8-0 win over Portland on Tuesday night to even their three-game series. The game was played in rain and temperatures in the low 40s, before an announced crowd of 3,276 at Hadlock Field. With the victory Hartford (20-18) pulled to within three games of first place Trenton.
Wynkoop won his third game of the season (3-5) by striking out a season-high seven batters over six innings. He permitted four hits and walked two. Hartford's relievers Rayan Gonzalez and Alexander Guillen closed out the pitching staff's sixth shutout. Yard Goats pitchers struck out 13 Portland hitters and allowed just five hits, while lowering the team ERA to 2.92.
Every Yard Goat in the lineup reached base at least once in the club's 13-hit attack. Melendez recorded three hits and three RBI, while Boswell had two doubles a single and two runs scored.
Hartford jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the second inning off of Denyi Reyes. Boswell doubled and Vance Vizcaino tripled to start the frame. Following a walk to Chris Rabago, Vizcaino scored when the shortstop bobbled a Manny Melendez ground ball. Colton Welker completed the scoring with an RBI-double. The Yard Goats chased Reyes in the fifth, tacking on two runs courtesy of a solo home run by Alan Trejo and an RBI-single by Melendez. A bases loaded walk to Vizcaino and an RBI-ground out by Rabago made it 7-0 in the sixth.
The rubber game of the series is Wednesday at 6 PM. RHP Brandon Gold will pitch for Hartford against RHP Tanner Houck for Portland, the Red Sox first round draft pick in 2017. The game will be broadcast on News Radio 1410AM, on 100.9 FM and on the Internet on newsradio1410.iheart.com and on MiLB.com.
Hartford 8-13-0Portland 0- 5-1
WP- Jack Wynkoop (3-5)
LP- Denyi Reyes (0-5)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Kay's Shutout, Mazeika's Grand Slam Lead to DH Sweep - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Fightins salvage second game of doubleheader with 8-1 win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Diaz's Two-Hit Shutout Leads NH to Game 1 Win in Tuesday's DH Split - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- SeaWolves Walk-Off on Squirrels - Erie SeaWolves
- Sens Rally for Five in the Eighth, Beat Trenton 6-5 - Harrisburg Senators
- 8th Inning Rally Thwarts Brilliant Outing from Abreu - Trenton Thunder
- Yard Goats 'Re-Koop' for Bounce Back Win - Hartford Yard Goats
- Hartford Shuts Down the 'Dogs, 8-0 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Lowther Dominates Ducks, 2-0 - Bowie Baysox
- Paulson's Showing Undone by Cold Bats - Akron RubberDucks
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 14th vs. Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: GM #32 Rumble Ponies (19-12) vs. Altoona Curve (18-17) - 5:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Homestand Preview #4: There's No Crying in Baseball - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Yard Goats to Once Again Host Connecticut's Largest Halloween Trick Or Treat Event
- Yard Goats Recognized for Two Major Awards by Eastern League
- Yard Goats Season Recap
- Yard Goats INF Tyler Nevin Named Eastern League Player of Month
- Yard Goats Rally Falls Short in 4-3 Loss