Parker signs contract extension through the 2024 season
HOUSTON - Houston Dynamo FC and defender Tim Parker have agreed to a contract extension through the 2024 season, the Club announced today.
"Tim has solidified himself within our group from day one, both on and off the field through his performances, strong character and leadership ability," said Senior Vice President and General Manager Matt Jordan. "Tim is in the prime of his career and we couldn't be happier that he has chosen to be a part of our club and what we are building in Houston as a foundational piece of our group for years to come."
The Dynamo acquired Parker earlier this year on Jan. 19 from the New York Red Bulls in exchange for $450,000â¯inâ¯General Allocation Money with additional performance-based incentives. Parker was named co-captain in April and has worn the captain's armband three times this season. The New York native has started in all nine games for the Dynamo this season and currently leads the team in blocks with seven and clearances with 26.
"Tim was the first player we went after at the end of last season as we looked to improve and rebuild," Dynamo head coach Tab Ramos said. "His professional winning character has already made us better on-and-off the field. We are excited that he has accepted to continue to grow with the club and with the city of Houston."
The six-year MLS veteran joined Houston after three consecutive appearances in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with the Red Bulls. Parker finished with 79 appearances for the Red Bulls and helped the club claim the 2018 Supporter's Shield with a record 71 points, while helping anchor the defense that recorded a league-best 14 shoutouts while setting a record with 71 points earned during that same season.
"I'm beyond ecstatic to commit to this project in Houston for the next three years. There is so much momentum around the club and I'm thrilled to play a role in the future of the organization," Parker said. "That's both on and off the field, we want to build meaningful relationships with our fans, that goes beyond the 90 minutes we play over the weekend. We have to do our part and I look forward to stepping up and connect with everyone who identifies with this badge."
Parker qualified to the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs twice with the Vancouver Whitecaps, beginning with his rookie season in 2015. The defender returned to the postseason in 2017 after starting in 32 regular season games and finished the season with Jock MacDonald Unsung Hero honors for the 'Caps.
Internationally, the defender has earned two caps with the U.S. Men's National Team. Parker made his debut with the USMNT against Ireland on June 2, 2018 and started in the following game against France on June 9. He also represented the U.S. at the U-23 and U-18 level, competing in the playoffs to qualify for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio.
Parker played collegiately for St. John's University and finished with 79 appearances in his four years for the Red Storm. He was a three-time United Soccer Coaches All-Region selection and earned first team All-Big East Honors in 2013. The defender was also a Big East All-Rookie selection following his freshmen season and won the 2011 Big East Tournament. He signed for the Big Red after earning Gatorade New York Boys Soccer Player of the Year honors in 2011.
TRANSACTION:â¯Houston Dynamo FC and defender Tim Parker have agreed to a contract extension through the 2024 season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 23, 2021
- Austin FC Fall 0-2 away at Minnesota United FC - Austin FC
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 against CF Montreal in Fort Lauderdale - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 1-0 to FC Cincinnati - Chicago Fire FC
- Rapids Fall 3-1 on the Road vs SKC - Colorado Rapids
- Match Report: CF MontrÃÂ©al 0-0 D.C. United - Club de Foot Montreal
- Atlanta United Falls 1-0 at New York City FC - Atlanta United FC
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 0 Atlanta United - New York City FC
- Jamiro Monteiro scores game winner; Union extend unbeaten run to seven games - Philadelphia Union
- New York Falls to New England Revolution, 3-2, at Gillette Stadium - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Top New York Red Bulls, 3-2, for Fifth Straight Win - New England Revolution
- Nashville Soccer Club Releases Renderings and New Details for Century Farms Training Complex - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Recalls Defender Jack Maher from San Diego Loyal SC - Nashville SC
- Houston Dynamo FC to Host Unified Team Signing Day on Thursday, June 24 at BBVA Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Marinos Papageorgopoulos Named Director Of Youth Development At The Club's Academy - Club de Foot Montreal
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Real Salt Lake - June 23, 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sign up for the Soccer Foundation of Charlotte's Paper Airplane Fundraiser - Charlotte FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Host Portland Timbers for Midweek Clash - Houston Dynamo FC
- Kickoff Time for MNUFC's Away Game Saturday in Portland Changed to 10 p.m. Ct - Minnesota United FC
- Independent Review Panel Denies Inter Miami CF's Appeal of Gregore Red Card - Inter Miami CF
- Parker signs contract extension through the 2024 season - Houston Dynamo FC
- Independent Review Panel Denies Inter Miami CF's Appeal of Gregore Red Card - MLS
- Audi Field to Host Inaugural Capital Cup in Washington, D.C. - D.C. United
- Neville, Matuidi, Morgan Seeking Positive Home Result for Fans - Inter Miami CF
- Real Salt Lake Faces Seattle Sounders FC on Wednesday - Real Salt Lake
- Columbus Crew Travels to Face the Philadelphia Union Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Charlotte FC and Ally Unveil New Mini Pitch for Local Soccer Players - Charlotte FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Austin FC Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Weather, Orlando City Combine for Forgettable Night - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo FC Stories
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Close Two-Game Road Trip in San Jose
- Houston Dynamo FC Draw 0-0 with Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Begin Two-Game Road Trip against Vancouver Whitecaps
- Houston Dynamo Football Club Announce Multi-Phase Renovations of BBVA Stadium
- Houston Dynamo Football Club Statement on Jamey Rootes