Minnesota United FC vs. Austin FC Preview
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United return to Allianz Field for a sort-of second home opener as the stadium welcomes back a near full capacity crowd for the first time since the Loons' Round One matchup with LA Galaxy in late 2019. With two draws on the road, MNUFC last won at home - and they also last lost at home, 1-0 to Austin FC on May 1. With a new-look frontline featuring forward Adrien Hunou and winger Franco Fragapane - who opened his MLS account with a goal against FC Dallas in the 1-1 draw on Saturday - the Loons are hoping to keep up their four-game unbeaten streak and exact a measure of revenge for that early season loss.
ADRIAN HEATH ON HOW TO MAINTAIN GOOD RECENT FORM
"By playing with the same energy, doing the same things that we know makes us successful. Move the ball quickly. Play on the front foot, play on their half of the field. We played [Austin FC] recently and, when I watched the game back, our defensive shape wasn't good enough at times, and they picked us apart at times. It's going to be important that we have a good discipline in and out of possession. If we do, I think there's enough in this team now to go and win the game."
MICHAEL BOXALL ON PLAYING IN FRONT OF A FULL STADIUM
"It's massive. I think, just in the last couple games when we've been pushing on in the last 10 minutes to get a goal, the 4,000 that have been in attendance have made it sound as loud as some of the full houses that I can remember. I can't even imagine what it's going to be like. But, we need to make sure we bring the energy that keeps them on their feet and show them a good time."
Austin FC began their inaugural season on something of a hot streak, winning two of their first three games, but have since come back down to earth and are now winless in their last six. Their last three games, however, have all been draws, and two of them away at perennial powerhouses Seattle Sounders and Sporting KC. Forward Cecilio Dominguez has been a consistent danger so far and midfielder Jared Stroud has been a big contributor with two assists so far in the still-young season. Austin's last win came against Minnesota at Allianz Field, so expect the visitors to come in with a feeling they can continue to right the ship and take points on the road.
STORYLINE presented by BMW
HOME IS WHENEVER I'M WITH YOU: If anyone was around for the inaugural home opener against NYCFC at Allianz Field in 2019, you might remember it for the hum in the atmosphere, for the excitement, for the blunt feeling of 20,000+ in a building built for the game being played, for Ozzie Alonso's goal that christened the stadium. But you probably don't remember particularly attractive or refined soccer. The 3-3 draw was all over the place as players did their best to focus on the task at hand but inevitably got swept up in the energy of the moment. It's entirely possible a similar scene plays out on Wednesday as a nearly full stadium returns for the first time since that inaugural season. The 4,100 fans who came to the home opener against Real Salt Lake made quite a racket, but it simply can't compare to five times that many people, including a completely full Wonderwall. It's also Minnesota United's Pride Game, a tradition with roots that stretch back into the team's days in the NASL when they became the first professional sports team to sign Athlete Ally's pledge as a group in 2014. Emotions throughout the stadium will be high, as they should be, for what in many ways will be the de facto home opener. [READ MORE]
FIRST TOUCHES: Austin FC have not scored in the final 15 minutes of either the first or second half this season, while Minnesota United have not scored in the first 15 minutes of the first or second half. [READ MORE]
PLAYER AVAILABILITY REPORT:
Robin Lod - International Duty
Jukka Raitala - International Duty
Jan Gregus - International Duty
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 23, 2021
- Austin FC Fall 0-2 away at Minnesota United FC - Austin FC
- D.C. United Draw 0-0 against CF Montreal in Fort Lauderdale - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 1-0 to FC Cincinnati - Chicago Fire FC
- Rapids Fall 3-1 on the Road vs SKC - Colorado Rapids
- Match Report: CF MontrÃÂ©al 0-0 D.C. United - Club de Foot Montreal
- Atlanta United Falls 1-0 at New York City FC - Atlanta United FC
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 1 - 0 Atlanta United - New York City FC
- Jamiro Monteiro scores game winner; Union extend unbeaten run to seven games - Philadelphia Union
- New York Falls to New England Revolution, 3-2, at Gillette Stadium - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Top New York Red Bulls, 3-2, for Fifth Straight Win - New England Revolution
- Nashville Soccer Club Releases Renderings and New Details for Century Farms Training Complex - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Recalls Defender Jack Maher from San Diego Loyal SC - Nashville SC
- Houston Dynamo FC to Host Unified Team Signing Day on Thursday, June 24 at BBVA Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- Know Your Opponent: Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Marinos Papageorgopoulos Named Director Of Youth Development At The Club's Academy - Club de Foot Montreal
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Real Salt Lake - June 23, 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sign up for the Soccer Foundation of Charlotte's Paper Airplane Fundraiser - Charlotte FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Host Portland Timbers for Midweek Clash - Houston Dynamo FC
- Kickoff Time for MNUFC's Away Game Saturday in Portland Changed to 10 p.m. Ct - Minnesota United FC
- Independent Review Panel Denies Inter Miami CF's Appeal of Gregore Red Card - Inter Miami CF
- Parker signs contract extension through the 2024 season - Houston Dynamo FC
- Independent Review Panel Denies Inter Miami CF's Appeal of Gregore Red Card - MLS
- Audi Field to Host Inaugural Capital Cup in Washington, D.C. - D.C. United
- Neville, Matuidi, Morgan Seeking Positive Home Result for Fans - Inter Miami CF
- Real Salt Lake Faces Seattle Sounders FC on Wednesday - Real Salt Lake
- Columbus Crew Travels to Face the Philadelphia Union Tonight - Columbus Crew SC
- Charlotte FC and Ally Unveil New Mini Pitch for Local Soccer Players - Charlotte FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Austin FC Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Weather, Orlando City Combine for Forgettable Night - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.