Othmann Recognized as Invitee to Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp
CALGARY, Alta.Â - Flint Firebirds forwardÂ Brennan Othmann is among just 46 of Canada's top under-18 hockey players, including 13 from the OntarioÂ Hockey League,Â that have been invited to attendÂ Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team selection camp.
"Congratulations to Brennan and his family on being named toÂ Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team selection camp," said Flint Firebirds Vice President of Hockey Operations & General Manager Barclay Branch. "It's a reflection of Brennan'sÂ hard work and commitment to the game and recognizes him as an elite young talent in his age group."
Hockey Canada's Announcement FeatureÂ
Othmann broke the Firebirds rookie franchise records for goals (17) and points (33)Â in 55 gamesÂ while alsoÂ recording two game-winning goals with Flint during the 2019-20 OHL season.Â The Pickering, Ont., native was selected by the Firebirds with the second-overall pick in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection on Apr. 6. The 5-foot-11, 165-poundÂ forwardÂ wasÂ among the 66 players selected to represent Canada at the 2019 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in November.Â Brennan is a prospect eligible for the 2021 NHL Draft.
"It's a dream come true as a Canadian hockey player any time you receive a call from Hockey Canada regarding one of their national teams," said Othmann. "I know there's still a lot of work to do to make their future national teams and just want to thank the staff at Hockey Canada, my family and the staff in Flint for supporting me along the way."
Six goaltenders, 14 defensemen and 26 forwards were set to compete for a chance to represent Canada at the 2020 Hlinka Gretzky Cup, which was scheduled for Aug. 3-8 in Edmonton and Red Deer, Alta., before it was cancelled April 28 due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
With the cancellation of the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, focus will now turn to the 2021 IIHF U18 World Championship next spring; a host city has not yet been announced. The Czech Republic and Slovakia will host the 2021 Hlinka Gretzky Cup before it returns to Edmonton and Red Deer in 2022.
Othmann joins just seven Flint Firebirds to earn the invite: Evan Vierling (2019), Luke Cavallin & Ethan Keppen (2018), Dennis Busby, Ty Dellandrea & Hunter Holmes (2017) and Will Bitten (2016).Â Of note, a Flint Firebird hasÂ been on Canada's roster for three of the pastÂ five Hlinka Gretzky Cup's. All three have won Gold:Â Ryan OulahenÂ (2018),Â Ty DellandreaÂ (2017) andÂ Will BittenÂ (2015).
OHL Players Invited to Canada's National Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp
Matteo Drobac (Hamilton Bulldogs)
Benjamin Gaudreau (Sarnia Sting)
Brandt Clarke (Barrie Colts)
Jacob Holmes (Soo Greyhounds)
Liam Arnsby (North Bay Battalion)
Brett Harrison (Oshawa Generals)
Wyatt Johnston (Windsor Spitfires)
Connor Lockhart (Erie Otters)
Mason McTavish (Peterborough Petes)
Brennan Othmann (Flint Firebirds)
Francesco Pinelli (Kitchener Rangers)
Chase Stillman (Sudbury Wolves)
Danny Zhilkin (Guelph Storm)
Assistant Coach - Alan Letang (Owen Sound Attack)
For more information on Hockey Canada and the Program of Excellence, visitÂ HockeyCanada.ca, or follow along via social media onÂ Facebook,Â TwitterÂ andÂ Twitter.com/HC_Men.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from June 16, 2020
- Generals Forward Phil Tomasino Named to Canada's National Junior Team Summer Development Camp - Oshawa Generals
- Foerster Named to National Junior Team Summer Showcase - Barrie Colts
- 16 OHL Players Recognized as Invitees ToCanada's National Junior Team Sport Chek Summer Development Camp - OHL
- Harley Invited to National Junior Team Development Camp - Mississauga Steelheads
- A Statement from the Kitchener Rangers Hockey Club - Kitchener Rangers
- Statement from OHL Commissioner David Branch Regarding the Upcoming Season - OHL
- O'Rourke Invited to Canada's National Junior Sport Chek Summer Development Camp - Soo Greyhounds
- Sting Forwards Jamieson Rees & Jacob Perreault Invited to Hockey Canada Virtual National Junior Team Summer Camp - Sarnia Sting
- Storm Acquire Picks from Firebirds - Guelph Storm
- Firebirds Acquire Defenseman Zack Terry from Guelph - Flint Firebirds
- Rangers Launch Community Fund - Kitchener Rangers
- Spitfires' Boka Commits to Queen's for 2020-21 - Windsor Spitfires
- Johnston Named to U18 Hlinka Gretzky Selection Camp - Windsor Spitfires
- Othmann Recognized as Invitee to Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp - Flint Firebirds
- NHL Draft-Eligible Rangers Stay Focused in Uncertain Times - Kitchener Rangers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- Caamano, Dellandrea & Nedeljkvoic in NHL Hub Cities Competing for Stanley Cup Playoffs
- Firebirds' Tucker on St. Louis Blues Training Camp Roster
- Firebirds' Dellandrea on Dallas Stars Training Camp Roster
- Firebirds Select Belarus Native Dmitry Kuzmin in CHL Import Draft
- Firebirds Prepare for 2020 CHL Import Draft Tuesday