Firebirds Acquire Defenseman Zack Terry from Guelph
Flint, Mich. - The Flint Firebirds announced today that club has completed a trade with the Guelph Storm.
In the trade, the Firebirds acquire defenseman Zack Terry from Guelph. In return, Flint trades Niagara's third-round pick in the 2023 OHL Priority Selection and Hamilton's fifth-round pick in the 2023 OHL Priority Selection.
"We'd like to welcome Zack to the Flint Firebirds Hockey Club," said Flint Firebirds Vice President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Barclay Branch. "Zack is a high ceiling player that has a lot of potential to grow in this league. Zack is both an impressive player and person and he will help solidify our 2002-born age group and has all the characteristics to be a successful player in this league." Zack Terry acquired by the Firebirds from Guelph on June 16th, 2020.
Terry, a native of Oakville, Ont., was Guelph's second-round pick (36th overall) in the 2018 OHL Priority Selection. The 6-foot-2, 190-pound defenseman was a member of the 2018-19 Storm roster, capturing the Wayne Gretzky Trophy as the OHL's Western Conference playoff champions and the J. Ross Robertson Cup as the OHL Finals playoff champions. He's recorded 12 points (2G, 10A), including 16 penalty minutes and a plus-2 rating in 100 career OHL games.
"I think it's really exciting to be moving to Flint," said Terry. "The last couple of years personally didn't go as I hoped but things are trending in the right direction in Flint and I'm looking forward to being part of it and starting the next chapter of my career. I've heard nothing but good things about the organization and the city. Our team went on a visit there when I was playing AAA hockey for Oakville and they were nothing but professional. I was impressed with the things I saw during my time there." In his first campaign in the OHL, Terry was recognized as one of the top Canadian-born defensemen, earning a spot on Hockey Canada's roster for the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge. He was also recognized in the classroom, earning the OHL's Ivan Tennant Memorial Award, which is awarded to the top academic high school player in the league each year.
Prior to his OHL career, Terry competed for the Oakville Rangers Minor Midget AAA Hockey Club in the Ontario Minor Hockey Association-South Central Triple-A League. He led the OMHA-SCTA in scoring among defenseman and finished ninth among all players with 43 points (15G, 28A) in just 35 games with the Rangers.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from June 16, 2020
- Generals Forward Phil Tomasino Named to Canada's National Junior Team Summer Development Camp - Oshawa Generals
- Foerster Named to National Junior Team Summer Showcase - Barrie Colts
- 16 OHL Players Recognized as Invitees ToCanada's National Junior Team Sport Chek Summer Development Camp - OHL
- Harley Invited to National Junior Team Development Camp - Mississauga Steelheads
- A Statement from the Kitchener Rangers Hockey Club - Kitchener Rangers
- Statement from OHL Commissioner David Branch Regarding the Upcoming Season - OHL
- O'Rourke Invited to Canada's National Junior Sport Chek Summer Development Camp - Soo Greyhounds
- Sting Forwards Jamieson Rees & Jacob Perreault Invited to Hockey Canada Virtual National Junior Team Summer Camp - Sarnia Sting
- Storm Acquire Picks from Firebirds - Guelph Storm
- Firebirds Acquire Defenseman Zack Terry from Guelph - Flint Firebirds
- Rangers Launch Community Fund - Kitchener Rangers
- Spitfires' Boka Commits to Queen's for 2020-21 - Windsor Spitfires
- Johnston Named to U18 Hlinka Gretzky Selection Camp - Windsor Spitfires
- Othmann Recognized as Invitee to Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp - Flint Firebirds
- NHL Draft-Eligible Rangers Stay Focused in Uncertain Times - Kitchener Rangers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- Caamano, Dellandrea & Nedeljkvoic in NHL Hub Cities Competing for Stanley Cup Playoffs
- Firebirds' Tucker on St. Louis Blues Training Camp Roster
- Firebirds' Dellandrea on Dallas Stars Training Camp Roster
- Firebirds Select Belarus Native Dmitry Kuzmin in CHL Import Draft
- Firebirds Prepare for 2020 CHL Import Draft Tuesday