O'Sullivan Spins in Saturday Night Win
High Point, North Carolina - The Somerset Patriots (23-39, 65-67) jumped in front early and never looked back in a 4-3 win over the High Point Rockers (31-31, 72-60) Saturday night at BB&T Point.
Somerset took a first inning lead for the second-straight night. The first four batters in the top of the first all reached on base hits, including an RBI infield single from Jimmy Paredes and a bases-clearing, three-run double from Alfredo Rodriguez.
Patriots' starter Liam O'Sullivan kept the Rockers off the board until a leadoff solo home run from Stephen Cardullo (21) in the bottom of the sixth inning. The Rockers did not have a baserunner reach third until that point.
Somerset's 4-1 lead carried into the ninth inning, when High Point rallied for two runs - both with two outs - on back-to-back RBI singles from Jared Mitchell and Cardullo that trimmed their deficit to a run. Ultimately, however, the tying run was stranded at third base to end the game.
O'Sullivan (W, 6-9) scattered just one run on three hits over seven innings to earn the win. Craig Stem (L, 5-4) allowed four runs on six hits over six innings to take the loss. Mike Antonini (S, 27) allowed two runs in the ninth but held on to earn the save.
The Patriots and Rockers continue their four-game series Sunday afternoon. First pitch at BB&T Point is slated for 2:00 p.m.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots Season presented by Ford continues on the road until Friday, September 20th when the team returns home to face the New Britain Bees. The game will feature a Back-To-School Folders giveaway for the first 1,500 kids, presented by SCEA. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Somerset Patriots pitcher Liam O'Sullivan
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 14, 2019
- Skeeters Sweep Bees In Hardware City Double-Dip - New Britain Bees
- Revs Edge 'Stormers, Lowering Magic Number to Four - York Revolution
- Ducks Equal Franchise Single-Season Wins Record - Long Island Ducks
- Lancaster Drops 2-1 Decision to Rivals - Lancaster Barnstormers
- O'Sullivan Spins in Saturday Night Win - Somerset Patriots
- Ducks Grab Win in Defensive Showdown - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Blue Crabs to Host 2020 Atlantic League All-Star Game - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Mesa's Game-Tying Homer in Ninth Not Enough as Revs Drop Opener in Lancaster - York Revolution
- Solid Pitching And Clutch Hitting Propel Bees Over Skeeters - New Britain Bees
- 'Stormers Win Thriller, 9-8 - Lancaster Barnstormers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- Somerset Patriots Help Atlantic League Earn Designation as Partner League of Major League Baseball
- Patriots Win Seventh in a Row to Close out Series
- Scott Kelly Leads Patriots to 8-4 Win over Blasters
- Patriots Clinch Series with Win over Blasters
- Patriots Win Fourth in a Row over Blasters