Ducks Grab Win in Defensive Showdown
Waldorf, MD - After a one run ten inning game with just seven combined hits on Friday, this evening's contest featured just three runs and ten hits, but the Ducks took the contest by a final score of 2-1.
Kyle Simon (L, 4-12) got the start on the bump for the Blue Crabs this evening and after struggling in the first inning he settled down tremendously. A pair came across to score in the first following an L.J. Mazzilli RBI single and a Simon wild pitch, but the right-hander rebounded with an incredible seven innings of scoreless baseball while allowing just four hits following the first inning.
After needing extra innings on Friday in a 0-0 regulation period, tonight's offensive output was similarly stagnant, the teams combined for just 14 hits and four runs through the first 17 innings of this series.
Simon and the Ducks starter, Vin Mazzaro (W, 10-4) were simply terrific this evening, continuing a trend from the series opener. Starting pitchers in this series have combined to allow two runs in 26.2 innings.
The Blue Crabs cracked the scoreboard for the first time in the series in the eighth inning. Rubi Silva incredibly beat out an infield single, and on a throwing error on a grounder from Mike Falsetti that only got into the shallow outfield Silva somehow came around to score, giving the Blue Crabs their only run of the series.
The Crabs were unable to score in the bottom of the ninth, dropping yet another stellar defensive one run game, this time with the Ducks taking a 2-1 score.
The Blue Crabs will return home tomorrow, Sunday September 15th for game three of a three game set with the Long Island Ducks, with a 2:05 p.m. first pitch.
Catch all Blue Crabs home games on the Blue Crabs Broadcast Network, live streamed on YouTube (@SOMDBlueCrabs) Facebook (@SOMDBlueCrabs) and Twitter (@BlueCrabs).
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 14, 2019
- Skeeters Sweep Bees In Hardware City Double-Dip - New Britain Bees
- Revs Edge 'Stormers, Lowering Magic Number to Four - York Revolution
- Ducks Equal Franchise Single-Season Wins Record - Long Island Ducks
- Lancaster Drops 2-1 Decision to Rivals - Lancaster Barnstormers
- O'Sullivan Spins in Saturday Night Win - Somerset Patriots
- Ducks Grab Win in Defensive Showdown - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Blue Crabs to Host 2020 Atlantic League All-Star Game - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Mesa's Game-Tying Homer in Ninth Not Enough as Revs Drop Opener in Lancaster - York Revolution
- Solid Pitching And Clutch Hitting Propel Bees Over Skeeters - New Britain Bees
- 'Stormers Win Thriller, 9-8 - Lancaster Barnstormers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Southern Maryland Falls in Season Finale
- Blue Crabs Drop Second Straight Heartbreaker
- Daryl Thompson's 162 Strikeouts Second Most In A Season In Atlantic League History
- Blue Crabs Drop Finale with Stormers
- Blue Crabs Drop Second to Last Home Game of the Season