Osprey Lose Four Game Series to Great Falls Due to Field Conditions
Missoula, MT - For the third straight day, the Missoula Osprey and Great Falls Voyagers game originally scheduled for play at Ogren Park Allegiance Field has been cancelled due to unsafe field conditions. After further review of the playing surface, the Pioneer League has moved the final game of the series to Great Falls on Monday night. The Osprey and Voyagers will meet in Great Falls for a doubleheader beginning at 5:00pm.
"The deep centerfield area that was underneath the staging for the concert is still too soft for players to run through and make a play without fear of injury," explained Matt Ellis Osprey Vice President.
"We have not been able to get approval from the Major League teams to play on the surface. The Pioneer League has asked us to move our game tomorrow to Great Falls so we can work on the field and ensure that Tuesday and Wednesday's games versus Idaho Falls happen in Missoula. We will honor their wishes and continue to work with local experts and our staff to get this field ready. We thank our fans for their support and patience."
The Mumford and Sons concert combined with the heavy rains Sunday caused some severe damage to the field. The Osprey grounds crew along with local support from businesses specializing in turf management worked hard on repairing the field for play since the show ended. However, one big area in right center field is still too soft and creates a risk of player injury. Sunday night, officials from the Osprey, Pioneer League, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Chicago White Sox consulted on the condition of the field and the game would be postponed due to unsafe conditions. Pioneer League President Jim McCurdy, who was in attendance, then moved Monday's game be moved to Great Falls, to be played as a doubleheader, to ensure the field can heal by Tuesday.
"We thank our fans and supporters for their heart felt support," said Ellis. " This has been a very unfortunate situation for all involved. We look forward to getting the field playable again so we can all enjoy this great game of baseball in Missoula."
Monday's doubleheader will make up two of the games in this four game series. The Osprey, Voyagers, and Pioneer League will work to reschedule the other two games while the Osprey are in Great Falls for a regularly scheduled four games series next weekend.
Fans can follow the Osprey on ESPN Missoula 102.9F M for all the action of Monday Night's doubleheader beginning with the pre-game show at 4:45pm. The voice of the Osprey Chris Jared will call the action.
Fans holding tickets from any of the four games this series can exchange them for a ticket for any of the remaining Osprey home games.
After the doubleheader in Great Falls on Monday, the Osprey will return home to play a two game series against Idaho Falls on Tuesday and Wednesday with game times at 7:05pm. Tickets for all remaining Osprey games can be purchased at the MSO Hub Box Office, located at 140 North Higgins in Downtown Missoula, online at MissoulaOsprey.com and by phone (406) 543-3300.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Solo Bombs Not Enough in Rox Loss - Grand Junction Rockies
- Osprey Lose Four Game Series to Great Falls Due to Field Conditions - Missoula PaddleHeads
- Consistent Offensive Attack Leads Raptors Win - Ogden Raptors
- Chukars Snap Six Game Skid - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Owlz Back in Win Column, 8-3 - Orem Owlz
- Chukars End Mustangs Win Streak at Six Games - Billings Mustangs
- Raptors Even Series with Sunday Win - Rocky Mountain Vibes
- Voyagers Doubleheader Tonight Postponed - Great Falls Voyagers
- Offensive Explosion Ends Losing Streak - Grand Junction Rockies
- Vibes Walk-Off Thwarts Raptors Comeback - Ogden Raptors
- Chukars Drop Sixth Straight - Idaho Falls Chukars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Missoula PaddleHeads Stories
- PaddleHeads, Missoula Freestyle Team Announce TGR: Make Believe Premiere
- PaddleHeads, Roxy Theater Announce Centerfield Cinema: Concert Series
- Now Teeing Off: Paddle Beach Golf Club
- Jazz Chisholm to Become 75th Missoula Alum to Reach the Show
- River Cleanup Volunteers Still Wanted