Orlando Tops Rays to Take 3-1 Series Lead
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - The Orlando Solar Bears scored three goals in the second period and held on in the third for a 4-1 defeat of the South Carolina Stingrays Friday night to take a 3-1 lead in the teams' South Division Semifinals series after Game 4 at the North Charleston Coliseum.
Forward Jonathan Charbonneau had the lone goal for the Stingrays, his second in as many games. SC goaltender Parker Milner stopped 27 shots in a strong effort despite suffering the loss.
The Solar Bears had control of the play in the first period and outshot the Rays 12-5 but neither team was able to get on the scoreboard during the opening frame.
But Orlando broke through in the second, scoring three times to open up the game in their favor. Tayler Thompson struck first at 2:45 of the middle period to make it 1-0 before Chris LeBlanc was able to find the back of the net twice at 6:06 and 12:03 to put the Solar Bears ahead 3-0.
Trailing by three in the third, South Carolina increased their urgency and fought back, outshooting Orlando 14-7. But the Stingrays were only able to score once on goaltender Connor Ingram when Charbonneau corralled a rebound and quickly jammed it into the cage at 10:49 of the third. Assists on the play went to defender Kevin McKernan as well as forward Mason Mitchell.
In the final minutes, Orlando added to their lead when Colby McAuley scored at 17:25 and pushed the Solar Bears' advantage up to 4-1.
Ingram earned his third straight victory for Orlando with 26 saves in the contest. The Solar Bears outshot SC 31-27 in the game and both clubs came up empty on the power play, each finishing 0-for-2.
South Carolina will aim to keep their season alive in their final home contest of the series with Game 5 on Saturday night at the North Charleston Coliseum at 7:05 p.m.
Single-game tickets for Game 5 are on sale now at the North Charleston Coliseum Box Office and Ticketmaster.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 19, 2019
- Oilers Even Series, Claim 4-3 Win in Game Four - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers Steal Home Ice Back with Thrilling Win in Game 4 - Tulsa Oilers
- K-Wings Tie It Late But Fall 4-3 on Wideman's Power Play Marker - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Come Back in Special Teams-Fueled Win - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Orlando Tops Rays to Take 3-1 Series Lead - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Extend Season with Dramatic Come-From-Behind Win in Game 4 - Adirondack Thunder
- Thunder Survive with 4-3 Victory in Game 4 - Manchester Monarchs
- Berdin Stymies Everblades in Jacksonville's Game 4 Win - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - April 19 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 4 vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game Day: Wings Host Game Four Looking to Even Series - Kalamazoo Wings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Carolina Stingrays Stories
- Stingrays Announce 2019-20 Home Schedule
- Stingrays Announce Coaching Change
- Stingrays 2018-19 Season Recap
- Cherniwchan Signs PTO with Hershey Bears
- Milner Joins Washington Capitals in Stanley Cup Playoffs