Orlando City SC Promotes Luiz Muzzi and Ricardo Moreira; Extends Contract with Both
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC has extended the contracts of current Executive Vice President of Soccer Operations Luiz Muzzi and current Assistant General Manager Ricardo Moreira, it was announced today. Additionally, Muzzi has also been named the Club's general manager, while Moreira has been named as the Club's technical director.
"I'm pleased and grateful to have the opportunity to work with both Luiz and Ricardo. Their work ethic and commitment to the Club has been strong from our first meeting, and we're happy to have their expertise in player evaluation and roster development," Club Chairman Mark Wilf said. "We look forward to their continued efforts to build a winning culture at Orlando City, and we appreciate their leadership in acquiring and fostering the right players here at the Club."
Coming off the most successful season in franchise history, culminated by a second-consecutive berth in the Audi MLS Cup Playoffs, the pair are responsible for building a roster that has set records on both sides of the ball in the last two years.
"I'm very happy that we are able to provide continuity to this project that we began three years ago, and I am thankful to the Wilf family for putting their trust and confidence behind our vision," Muzzi said. "I love working for this Club, alongside the other great professionals in the organization, to represent our incredible community. While I'm proud of the progress we've made since joining Orlando City, we will work harder than ever to bring trophies to the Club and to our fans."
"First, I would like to thank the Club for continuing to believe in me and for providing the tools so I can continue to grow within this amazing organization," Moreira said. "Most importantly, I'd like to thank the Wilf family for trusting me to help this Club achieve its on-field goals. The commitment to our project goes both ways and I am eager as ever to continue working with Luiz, Oscar and the front office to reward our fans and community with the championships they deserve."
Following a 2020 season that saw the Club set new records for goals scored per game (1.74), goals conceded (1.09) and its first postseason berth in franchise history, the Lions built off that success this past year, setting new records for points in a single-season (51), wins (13), clean sheets (9) and home wins (8).
Since joining Orlando City ahead of the 2019 season, Muzzi and Moreira have brought a host of the Club's highly-touted players to The City Beautiful, including Peruvian National Team goalkeeper Pedro Gallese, center back duo Robin Jansson and Antonio Carlos, midfielder Júnior Urso and forward Silvester van der Water, while drafting recently-transferred USMNT forward Daryl Dike.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 13, 2022
- Earthquakes Sign 16-Year-Old Midfielder Niko Tsakiris to Homegrown Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Set to Travel to Tucson for 2022 Preseason Presented by Old Trapper - Portland Timbers
- Austin FC to Host Mexican Champions Atlas FC in Preseason Match at Q2 Stadium - Austin FC
- Timbers Sign Goalkeepers Aljaz Ivacic and David Bingham - Portland Timbers
- GM Mike Jacobs 'Encouraged' by State of Nashville SC Roster After SuperDraft - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Announce Schedule for 2022 Preseason - FC Cincinnati
- Earthquakes Sign Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski to New Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2022 Preseason Schedule - Philadelphia Union
- Minnesota United Welcomes Back Forward Abu Danladi - Minnesota United FC
- Acosta and Mabika Signings Highlight Development Pathway - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC Signs Free Agent Albert Rusnák as Designated Player - Seattle Sounders FC
- Inter Miami CF Signs Midfielder George Acosta and Defender Aimé Mabika - Inter Miami CF
- Columbus Crew Signs Crew Academy Product and Midfielder Sean Zawadzki - Columbus Crew SC
- D.C. United Sign Midfielder Ted Ku-DiPietro to Homegrown Deal - D.C. United
- Inter Miami CF Announces Open Training Session at DRV PNK Stadium; Sets 2022 Preseason Schedule - Inter Miami CF
- Charlotte FC Announces Preseason Schedule for 2022 MLS Season - Charlotte FC
- Columbus Crew Announces Founding Level Partnership with Global Sportsbook Operator Tipico - Columbus Crew SC
- Aníbal Godoy and Randall Leal Called in to Panama and Costa Rica National Teams for January Camps - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Announce 2022 Preseason Schedule - Chicago Fire FC
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Jaziel Orozco as Homegrown Player - Real Salt Lake
- D.C. United Announce Preseason Friendly against Inter Miami CF on January 29 - D.C. United
- Houston Dynamo FC Add Jimmy Nielsen, Chris Martinez and Zack Thornton to Technical Staff - Houston Dynamo FC
- Austin FC Signs Colombian Midfielder Jhojan Valencia - Austin FC
- Sporting KC Re-Signs Seven-Time MLS All-Star Graham Zusi - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City SC Promotes Luiz Muzzi and Ricardo Moreira; Extends Contract with Both - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Re-Signs Midfielder Roger Espinoza - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City Splits the Points in Inaugural Meeting with Austin FC
- Orlando City Travels to Take on Austin FC
- Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride and OUC Join Forces for 2022 Sustainability Week
- Kyle Smith Nets Late Game-Winner as Lions Down Toronto
- Orlando City Travels to Take on Toronto FC