Orlando City Fall 1-0 to Atlanta United
ORLANDO, Fla. (Aug. 23, 2019) - Orlando City SC (9-12-7, 34 points) dropped a 1-0 decision to Atlanta United FC (15-9-3, 48 points) on Friday night at Exploria Stadium. The Lions posted a season-high 22 shots in the match, but were unable to break through on the night.
Head Coach James O'Connor:
"Obviously very disappointed. I think when you look at the game overall, I think we've had enough chances to win, in two or three games. I think unfortunately for us tonight, we've played very well, we've had exceptional chance creation, we just weren't able to take our chances which is pretty hard to swallow. Very painful evening for us."
60' Josef Martinez (Ezequiel Barco) - ATL 1, ORL 0
The Five Stripes took the lead with Josef Martinez dribbling into space before finding Ezequiel Barco at the middle of the pitch. Barco took a few touches before laying it back off to Martinez near the edge of the area, who hit it first time from the left side into the far post.
Mauricio Pereyra recorded his first career MLS start in the match. Pereyra made his Orlando City debut last Saturday at Minnesota when he entered the match after the halftime break for Robinho.
Dom Dwyer registered his 60th appearance as a Lion when he entered the match for Tesho Akindele in the 67th minute.
The Lions registered a season-high 22 shots in the match. Next Match: The Lions head back out on the road, traveling to the West coast to take on the San Jose Earthquakes on Saturday, August 31. Kickoff for the match is set for 10:30 p.m. ET at Avaya Stadium.
Teams 1 2 F
Orlando City SC 0 0 0
Atlanta United FC 0 1 1
ATL - Josef Martinez (Ezequiel Barco) 60'
ATL - Leandro González Pirez (Yellow Card) 36'
ATL - Julian Gressel (Yellow Card) 90+3'
Orlando City SC - GK Brian Rowe; D Kamal Miller, Robin Jansson, Lamine Sané, Kyle Smith; M Uri Rosell, Mauricio Pereyra (Sacha Kljestan 61'), Carlos Ascues (Chris Mueller 74'); F Nani ©, Tesho Akindele (Dom Dwyer 67'), Benji Michel
Substitutes Not Used: GK Adam Grinwis; D Shane O'Neill; M Will Johnson, Sebastián Méndez
Atlanta United FC - GK Brad Guzan ©; D Florentin Pogba, Leandro González Pirez, Miles Robinson, Julian Gressel; M Ezequiel Barco, Eric Remedi (Jeff Laentowicz 46'), Darlington Nagbe (Emerson Hyndman 61'); F Justin Meram, Josef Martinez, Pity Martínez (Hector Villalba 78')
Substitutes Not Used: GK Alec Kann; D Michael Parkhurst; M Mo Adams, Dion Pereira
Details of the Game:
Time: 8 p.m. ET
Date: Aug. 23, 2019
ORL - 48.7%
ATL - 51.3%
ORL - 22
ATL - 15
ORL - 2
ATL - 4
ORL - 14
ATL - 11
ORL - 7
ATL - 4
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 23, 2019
- Orlando City Fall 1-0 to Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Impact Takes on Toronto FC Saturday Night at BMO Field - Montreal Impact
- Breaking Down the XI | Pereyra Starts - Orlando City SC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Affects Fire - Chicago Fire
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- Storylines | City vs. Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- #FCDvHOU: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Loans Midfielder Cristian Martinez to Las Vegas Lights FC - Chicago Fire
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Chicago Fire - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Second Leg of the New York Derby Set for Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Sign Brad Knighton to New Contract - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Colorado Rapids in Rocky Mountain Cup Finale - Real Salt Lake
- Minnesota United Adds Stewart Kerr to Coaching Staff - Minnesota United FC
- Whitecaps FC Sign Academy Product Georges Mukumbilwa - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Adds Former US International Jonathan Spector to Staff - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting Strikes Late to Secure 1-0 Win over Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Falls 1-0 to SKC in Tight Game - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.