Whitecaps FC Sign Academy Product Georges Mukumbilwa
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Friday that the club has signed Development Squad winger/fullback Georges Mukumbilwa to an MLS Homegrown contract through 2020, with club options through 2023.
Mukumbilwa becomes the third player transferred from the Development Squad this year, and the 19th player from the Whitecaps FC Academy signed to an MLS Homegrown contract. Mukumbilwa was first discovered by the club through the partnership with the Manitoba Soccer Association and the Whitecaps FC BMO Academy System.
DOWNLOAD: Georges Mukumbilwa photos and signing video "Georges has worked very hard, has the right mentality, and has earned this opportunity," said Marc Dos Santos, Whitecaps FC head coach. "Georges is great example of the vertical integration we have developed at our club. The young man understands today is a positive step forward in his journey and knows there is still a lot of work ahead of him."
Whitecaps FC winger/fullback Georges Mukumbilwa
Member of the Whitecaps FC Development Squad since July 2018
Four years with Whitecaps FC Academy
73 starts in 96 appearances, and 20 goals in the Development Academy league
Played with Portage Trail and Manitoba Provincial Team program in his youth
Born in Kalima, Democratic Republic of Congo TRANSACTION: On August 23, 2019, Georges Mukumbilwa signed to MLS Homegrown contract through 2020, with club options through 2023.
This past January and February, the 19-year-old spent preseason with the first team, playing in preseason matches against V-Varen Nagasaki and Iwaki FC in the Pacific Rim Cup, as well as LA Galaxy and Club Tijuana.
"It means a lot to me to sign an MLS contract with this club," added Mukumbilwa. "I've been here for five years and this is what I've always wanted. I would like to thank my family for supporting me, all of my academy coaches here at Whitecaps FC for helping me, and coach Vince Scerbo back home in Winnipeg."
Mukumbilwa originally joined the Whitecaps FC Academy in 2014, spending four years in the program. In that time, he made 73 starts in 96 appearances in the Development Academy while scoring 20 goals. Following his time in the academy, he was signed to the Whitecaps FC Development Squad in July of 2018.
At the international level, Mukumbilwa has earned one call-up to Canada's U-18 men's national team for a series against El Salvador in 2016. Mukumbilwa was born in Kalima, Democratic Republic of Congo and spent his childhood at a refugee camp in Kigali, Rwanda before moving to Canada with his family at 13-years-old.
In his youth, the native of Winnipeg, Manitoba played with Portage Trail, as well as with Manitoba's Provincial Team program.
Pronunciation: George MOO-Kum-BILL-Wah
Weight: 160 pounds
Date of Birth: September 23, 1999 in Kalima, Democratic Republic of Congo
Hometown: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Citizenship: Canadian permanent resident
Status: Homegrown, Domestic
Last Club: Whitecaps FC Development Squad ('18 - '19), WFC Academy ('14 - '18)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 23, 2019
- Orlando City Fall 1-0 to Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Impact Takes on Toronto FC Saturday Night at BMO Field - Montreal Impact
- Breaking Down the XI | Pereyra Starts - Orlando City SC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Affects Fire - Chicago Fire
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- Storylines | City vs. Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- #FCDvHOU: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Loans Midfielder Cristian Martinez to Las Vegas Lights FC - Chicago Fire
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Chicago Fire - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Second Leg of the New York Derby Set for Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Sign Brad Knighton to New Contract - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Colorado Rapids in Rocky Mountain Cup Finale - Real Salt Lake
- Minnesota United Adds Stewart Kerr to Coaching Staff - Minnesota United FC
- Whitecaps FC Sign Academy Product Georges Mukumbilwa - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Adds Former US International Jonathan Spector to Staff - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting Strikes Late to Secure 1-0 Win over Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Falls 1-0 to SKC in Tight Game - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Experienced MLS Goalkeeper Evan Bush Via Trade from Montreal Impact
- 'Caps fall to West co-leaders in first Portland home match
- DoorDash Becomes Official On-Demand Delivery Platform of Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC thwart 'Caps bid for three straight
- Whitecaps FC Announce Remaining 2020 MLS Regular Season Schedule