Storylines | City vs. Atlanta United
Leading the Way
With his finish on Saturday at Minnesota, Nani tied Tesho Akindele for the team lead in goals scored this season with his ninth of the year. The Portuguese international converted from the penalty spot for the third time this season to give the Lions the advantage. Nani also leads the team in assists this season, with eight to his credit, contributing to 17 of the Lions' 35 finishes this year.
Welcome to the Show
On Saturday in Minnesota, the Lions' newest signing in Mauricio Pereyra made his Orlando City debut when he entered the match after the halftime break for Robinho. Pereyra joined the Lions on July 30 as a Designated Player from Russian club FC Krasnodar, where he recorded a career-high in assists in his last two seasons before coming to Orlando.
Denying the Opposition
Goalkeeper Brian Rowe registered five saves at Minnesota last Saturday, his highest total since July 7 against the Philadelphia Union where he recorded the same mark. Of his five saves, two came on diving stops, one on each side of the break, to keep the match scoreless heading into the late stages. Rowe's performance earned him a spot on the MLS Team of the Week Bench, his second TOTW honor this season.
Let's Keep it Rolling
The Lions are currently riding a four-game unbeaten streak throughout the month of August with shutout wins at home against FC Dallas and Sporting Kansas City in that span, followed by draws on the road at Toronto and Minnesota. In this stretch, the Lions hold a +3 goal differential, finding the back of the net five times while only conceding twice. The stretch serves as the longest point streak for the Lions this season, surpassing a three-game unbeaten stretch from July 7-18.
The Lions are one shutout away from breaking their Club-record of seven in a single season, set in both 2015 and 2017.
Dom Dwyer is one appearance away from his 60th as a Lion.
Chris Mueller is one start away from his 40th in MLS.
Brian Rowe is one clean sheet shy of breaking Joe Bendik's record of seven in a single-season set in 2017.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 23, 2019
- Orlando City Fall 1-0 to Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- Impact Takes on Toronto FC Saturday Night at BMO Field - Montreal Impact
- Breaking Down the XI | Pereyra Starts - Orlando City SC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Affects Fire - Chicago Fire
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- Storylines | City vs. Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- #FCDvHOU: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Loans Midfielder Cristian Martinez to Las Vegas Lights FC - Chicago Fire
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Chicago Fire - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Second Leg of the New York Derby Set for Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Sign Brad Knighton to New Contract - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Colorado Rapids in Rocky Mountain Cup Finale - Real Salt Lake
- Minnesota United Adds Stewart Kerr to Coaching Staff - Minnesota United FC
- Whitecaps FC Sign Academy Product Georges Mukumbilwa - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Adds Former US International Jonathan Spector to Staff - Atlanta United FC
- Sporting Strikes Late to Secure 1-0 Win over Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Falls 1-0 to SKC in Tight Game - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.